Where is Spencer Waters in 1841

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Spencer Waters in 1841

He was born 28-5-1806 in Gravesend Kent to William and Mary Waters.

He is transported in 1845 to Tasmania aboard the David Malcolm.

And that is as much as I know about him.

the only Spencer Waters I can find was born in 1817 Kent living in Crooked Lane Milton Gravesend Kent sorry

Comment

If he was transported in 1845, he was possibly already in the judicial process by 1841 (e.g. in prison). Just a tiny chance of a newspaper report of his felony.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My relative was transported in 1830 - I got good information from a newspaper article.
        I agree with Uncle John - have a look for a newspaper article. Try contacting the library nearest to where he was tried. They frequently have old papers on film or the originals.
        Good luck.

Oh - I am surprised there is no "ticket of leave" or "certificate of freedom" in the records.
        Have you considered that he may not have survived the voyage or died before being granted these documents?
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Have you seen the 2 prison hulk records on ancestry - they give a little information about him.

to add - perhaps you already have this, but just in case, here are some of the statements taken form the hulk records----

he was a shipwright and boat builder,
          single,
          burglary & stealing of a pair of doors valued at ? 5/-,
          Can read and write,
          has relations living at Gravesend, respectable persons in business,
          never before in Maidstone Gaol,
          Last edited by herky; 08-10-11, 16:39.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Spencer Waters
            Estimated Birth Year:abt 1809
            Date of Trial:12 Mar 1838
            Trial Year:1838
            Location of Trial:Kent, England
            Sentence death
            Transported for 10 years

Name: Spencer Waters
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1810
            Date of Trial: 10 Mar 1845
            Trial Year: 1845
            Location of Trial: Kent, England
            Sentence: Transportation
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-10-11, 17:00.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I am confused now - was he transported or sent to death?
              herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                Have you seen the 2 prison hulk records on ancestry - they give a little information about him.

to add - perhaps you already have this, but just in case, here are some of the statements taken form the hulk records----

he was a shipwright and boat builder,
                single,

burglary & stealing of a pair of doors valued at ? 5/-,
                Can read and write,
                has relations living at Gravesend, respectable persons in business,
                never before in Maidstone Gaol,

It also says he was pardoned 19th August 1843???

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                  It also says he was pardoned 19th August 1843???

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...rc=&pid=231969
                  Ah - that was the bit i couldn't quite make out - I though maybe "prisoned".
                  Well that means he was pardoned in 1843, then went to trail again in 1845 and sent for transportation - I must look at this record again and see what else I have missed.
                  Thanks.
                  herky

Comment

Yes looks like he was a naughty boy in 1845 - silly man after getting a pardon the 1st time :(
                    Kat

Comment

New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia Convict Musters, 1806-1849

Arrival Date: 1846
                      Vessel: D Malcolm
                      Do Province: Tasmania
                      Title: Ledger Returns S - Z Year(s): 1846
                      Place of Conviction: Kent

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...17346&recoff=6

Arrival Date: 1845
                      Vessel: David Malcolm
                      To Norfolk Island Province: Tasmania
                      Title: Ledger Returns Year(s): 1849
                      Place of Conviction: Maidstone

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...51488&recoff=6
                      Kat

Comment

Perhaps someone with an Ancestry sub for Australia can help you more.

OOps sorry Flashieboy - you are from that way on and have the above records

As for 1841 it could be that Val on post# 2 found his record but the image does read age 24 - he is with Elizabeth Water b 1818.
                        I see from a prevous post of yours that some of your other Water's relations are also from Milton in Gravesend so sounds a good possibility. From the image his occ. looks like bargeman.

Last edited by Katarzyna; 08-10-11, 18:00.
                        Kat

Comment

Norfolk Island was where the incorrigibles were sent. So he must have been really naughty.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X