Phantom photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom photos?

I have a strange thing happening with my photos. When I upload the pictures from my camera, I normally erase all the images from the camera in order to start again. However, each time I upload a new batch, there is one batch of photos, taken about a year ago, which appear again, each time, at the front of each batch, even though there is no longer any trace of them on the camera itself.

I can "untick" the boxes each time so that they don't appear, but I didn't realise what was happening for some time and now have 4 or 5 copies of these pictures stored (I have a space issue for which I have done another thread).

Also, can anyone tell me if Picasa stores my photos on the computer itself, or elsewhere? i.e. if I use this programme, am I storing my photos twice?

Picassa does NOT store your photos anywhere else. All it does is place a link to the file in it's database.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank you Wendy!

Comment

Having a poke around the following website

suggests to me that there are two versions of Picasa. It looks like 'Picasa' uses your computer and 'Picasa Web Albums' uses a dedicated location on the web.

You will be saving a photo a second time if you choose 'Save a Copy' rather than 'Save' when editing.
        The default location can be found in Picasa under Tools > Options. I think if you have edited a photo there may be old copies in a hidden subfolder in this folder (called .Originals?). To see this, you'd need to set a preference in Explorer to 'Show hidden files'.

I feel very nervous about offering advice because I am only going by what the website says (I haven't got Picasa myself) and I hope I don't inadvertently lead you into doing anything unwise!

Comment

Col, I think most of what I do is probably unwise! Each time I think I have educated myself to do something else, it simply shows up a greater extent to my ignorance. I will have a look at Picasa again - not sure which I have.

Comment

Picassa will only save a COPY of your original file if you tell it to!
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thank you both. This is really helpful

Comment

Just be aware, if you upload to the web storage area, that is the only version of the file you have.
                Should their file server suffer and your images get damaged, you have lost them!
                Any really special images you would never like lost, should be saved on your PC or on CD/DVD as a personal back up because of this risk.

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor - I hadn't thought of that!

Comment

The web stuff could also be vulnerable to the website owner (or the provider who owns the server, if different) going bust, in which case you would probably lose access - at least until you can find the right person to make your case to.

Or (I've not heard of this but it is conceivable)
                    Someone malicious hacking into the site and copying [or deleting] the pictures. If there are pictures of children......

I expect the website is password-protected, but I hope it is encrypted as well!

Comment

I think I've quite gone off that idea - will keep them on my computer. I do appreciate your help - thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X