GR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GR

I subscribe to FMPand Ancestry - have been doing so for a number of years but recently have also had a look at genes reunited. I am not really
    interested in records outside of UK and am wondering whether to drop the first two and join GR. Any thoughts ?
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

GR is now owned by the parent company Brightsolid, which also owns FMP.

From what I have read on many forums, GR records are difficult to search and searchers often ask for lookups on other sites. Personally, I wouldn't subscribe to GR just yet although I have high hopes that their new management will vastly improve matters.

OC

Comment

if I only had one choice it would be Ancestry ,not sure what GR charge to look at their records ? but aren't they more expensive?

Comment

I also subscribe to FMP and and Ancestry and I would not swop those subs for GR. It would not be in the best interests of FMP to ever make GR better than FMP! In my view GR will always be the inferior site. You have to ask youself why you have always subscribed to FMP and Ancestry? One usually subs to both because both offer different and detailed information on other things besides census and digitised BMD.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 06-10-11, 22:24.

Comment

If joining now, I would subscribe to the standard I think it is called - same as I am on now - where one can contact others and post on the boards.

By the way, OC, someone not long ago was saying you are missed
          Joy

Comment

I wouldn't bother.I am only a member because I pay £9.95 for a year.
            It was good when I first started out because I wanted to learn how to search for family myself.

I read that about OC as well and she is missed.
            I also remember when I first posted on GR that Jess was very patient with me and it took her hours to tell me how to post a reply !!
            I have never forgotten her kindness .
            the meercat.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts folk. Seems like then I will give GR the flick and stick to what I have.
              Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

The main thing I find GR useful for these days is that the 1911 census data gives people's place of birth. I subscribe to Ancestry but not FMP. My GR sub renews more or less by default. It's useful for the occasional contacts I get.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

When you have found who you think is yours with a free search on 1911 though Uncle John you can then do a free search on GR and still find out where they were born.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                  X