Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please could someone help me to find Kate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please could someone help me to find Kate?

I am searching for Catherine Short on the 1851 census. I found her with her parents in 1841 in Salisbury, where she (and they) were born. She reappeared as Kate in 1856 when she married Charles Hibberd in Salisbury. I guess she might have moved from home to work in service but I have been unable to find her. She was born about 1833. Is anyone able to help, please? I have searched using Ancestry and Findmypast.
    Shirley

Not sure about this - there is a Catharine H Short as a visitor in Box, Wiltshire????
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Not sure about this - there is a Catharine H Short as a visitor in Box, Wiltshire????
      B c 1834
      OOOPPPS - double vision??? Sorry
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

It is possible that her name was written as Caroline instead of Catherine - I have heard of that done before -born 1834, living at Castle Street, St Edmund, Salisbury.
        Joy

Comment

Joy - I hadn't heard of that before - Caroline for Catherine - thanks for the tip.
          herky

Comment

Well this looks like her family at Castle Street Joy, but what number is Caroline at?

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              Well this looks like her family at Castle Street Joy, but what number is Caroline at?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...dmund.ALL.2a.4
              I cannot see a number but the family where she is a servant are called Buckland - Piece: 1847 Folio: 110 Page:9
              Joy

Comment

Thanks Joy This is the one Joy means - transcribed as Caroline Shore. She is living at no 38. The short family are living at no 17

Comment

Good team work
                  Joy

Comment

Well done Joy

Comment

What amazing people you are! I would never have thought of looking for 'Caroline'. I'm almost sure that is her - just a short distance away from home (her family are in Bulls entry, Castle St which probably means a short side road beside a pub called The Bull).

I did find the Catherine H but the place of birth was wrong, herky, even if the names matched her parents (she could hardly be a 'visitor' in her own home).
                      I had tried all possible variations on Catherine without thinking her employers might make a mistake - she was only a servant after all!
                      Thank you all so much.
                      Shirley

Comment

Chrissie found the family
                        You're welcome, Shirley , and Herkey
                        Joy

Comment

But Joy pointed me to the page You're welcome Shirley.

Comment

just double check that caroline doesnt appear anywhere else. i have an aunt lorreina that appears as lavinia every now and then. extensive searching found no lavinia's born at all in the country in the decade lorreina was born.

Comment

Her address on her marriage cert might give you a clue Shirley.

Comment

Not much help from that I'm afraid, Chrissie. They were both said to be living in Rollstone St. Salisbury in 1856 - presumably for some time as they already had a son, born in 1854!

Comment

Working...
                                X