Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short version & alternative names

Hi all,

Does anyone have or know where I can find a list of short & alternative names?

My Great-Grandmother was known as Nellie, although it probably said Eleanor on her birth certificate. I've got a few other such examples in my family tree & could do with a good reference.

Alex

Hello and welcome to the forum

if you click on the link below it will take you into our Reference Library where we have a section on names, if you get stuck shout up! :smilee:

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have a few close relative who were "Nellie" and registered and Baptized as "Nellie".
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

my mum was Nellie, birth cert and baptism.... gran was known as Nellie but was actually Ellen.

Only way to be 100% sure it to obtain certificate of your rellie.

Jan

Comment

Never assume a name has been abbreviated and only expand an abbreviated name when there is convincing proof of the full name.
          There are many examples in parish registers of a person's full name being an abbreviated form of another name.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Hiya Alex,

All my Nellie's were Helen's, if she came from Liverpool as we do...then you may find this "alias" was quite common here.

PS...Welcome to the forum - its a great site with very knowledgeable posters.
            Last edited by Tilly Mint; 06-10-11, 20:34. Reason: typo
            Jacky

Comment

i had a great aunt born ellen but was known as nellie.
              Last edited by cpdavis35; 07-10-11, 08:40.
              Craig

Comment

As Guy says, you can't make assumptions, even within the same family. Two of my Nellies were Ellen, but another was given Nellie as her birth name. And another called herself Ellen, Nellie or Helen, depending on the census (and which husband she was with).

Comment

I have Peggy who was registered as Peggy but later called herself Margaret. I have Ellen/Nellie/Eleanor/Nora/Helen, all the same woman, Mary as Molly, Polly, Moll and Poll...and Cissie, who was Doris really, but called Cissie by her brothers.

Although there are many widely accepted diminutives of given names you can never be sure what YOUR family intended, so as Guy says, you go with what you find.

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X