PDA

View Full Version : Born 1793 in Barbados. but moved to Lancashire.. is there any way of finding a bapti

colin taylor
05-10-11, 19:03
I have William Grime from 1841 until he died in 1872 but is there any way that I could find a baptism or any information prior to 1841

Val wish Id never started
05-10-11, 20:16
hi how do you know he was born in Barbados ?? the only two I could find in 1841 were born in Lancashire ?

Darksecretz
05-10-11, 20:40
here you go Val 1861: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&ssrc=pt_t21707627_p1146951272&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=william&gsln=grime&msbdy=1793&msbpn__ftp=Barbados&msbpn=5033&msbpn_PInfo=3-|0|1652393|0|5033|0|0|0|0|0|0|&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=lg3&msbdp=2&cp=11&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=8956511&db=uki1861&indiv=1

Darksecretz
05-10-11, 20:45
here you go Colin, have a look here

https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Awilliam~%20%2Bsurname%3Agrime ~%20%2Bany_place%3Abarbados~

Val wish Id never started
05-10-11, 22:17
hi Julie I was looking for him in 1841 ? didn't think to look further

colin taylor
05-10-11, 23:01
Thank you for the help.
I have had a look at IGI but could find nothing as early as 1793 and have tried to find any sites that may help with Barbados but without success.
I have been informed he married on 28 April 1817 at St Peters Bolton but have not seen the cert.
No idea when he came to the Uk or anything about him other than he was a coal miner.

Olde Crone Holden
05-10-11, 23:07
No certs in 1817 but the marriage is listed on LAN-OPC. No useful information given though and there is unlikely to be more in the register - LAN-OPC usually transcribe everything in the entry.

OC

colin taylor
05-10-11, 23:17
Looks like it will remain unresolved and a dead end...not even sure if he was local to Barbados or part of a family that moved or worked out there.

Olde Crone Holden
05-10-11, 23:27
Almost certainly a Lancashire family that went to Barbados for some purpose - I wonder if the family were Methodists and went as missionaries? Grime/s is a very old Lancashire name.

Although many Lancashire weavers went all over the world, to British countries to teach weaving, I doubt there was much in the way of weaving in Barbados, so either the religious or the military is all I can think of.

OC

margaretmarch
06-10-11, 08:09
The family could have been military and on board a ship that simply stopped in Barbados for a short while and then returned to UK.

Christine in Herts
06-10-11, 13:10
The OPC for Holy Trinity Bolton was kind enough to send me the register image when I asked. I don't recall any explicit requests, but I imagine a donation might be welcomed if you do get a copy of something like that.

It may not give you any extra info, but it's good to have the original source doc, if you can get it, just for completeness.

Christine

Olde Crone Holden
06-10-11, 13:18
You've probably already done this, but have you tried searching 1851 for just Grimes, born Barbados, to possibly turn up any siblings?

OC

colin taylor
06-10-11, 16:17
Hello OC,
It occurred to that if William Grimes came back with his parents he may have siblings born in Barbados so I did check but found none called Grimes.. I searched Lancashire without any name just the birth place Barbados.. plenty in Liverpool but also one in Little Bolton, a Margaret Winstanley.. could be her but I found a marriage for John Winstanley and Margaret Seddon so a good idea but no result

margaretmarch
06-10-11, 16:30
On familysearch.org there are any number of Grime births etc in Barbados so maybe there was a family connection there.

Have a look at this site http://greatships.dlhjr.com/Barbados_Family_Research.pdf they seem to have the baptism registers covering the year you are looking for.
Margaret

colin taylor
06-10-11, 17:58
Thanks for that link Margaret.. looks promising so will make enquiries

PhotoFamily
06-10-11, 23:12
familysearch catalog had baptisms into the 1700 for barbados. I couldn't figure out if they were all indexed on familysearch

kylejustin
07-10-11, 10:30
he was a coal miner in lancs, i wouldn't take it for granted that's what he always did. and it is quite possible his family had been in the carribbean for a long time. i have family that stayed in indonesia for at least 3 generations.....and i still have no clue when they went to england. the grimes family may have owned a plantation or such.

Olde Crone Holden
07-10-11, 10:38
Colin

He was a spinner at marriage - are you sure you have the right man? Although a spinner could become a coal miner I'm sure, it's a bit of an odd way to go in midlife.

OC

colin taylor
07-10-11, 11:10
I have not seen the marriage certificate so was unaware that it referred to him as a spinner..I have worked backwards from the known back through each census to 1841 and on each he states born in Barbados or West Indies so have taken that and the fact he was a coal miner on each census to be correct..
There were however a lot of families named Grime all with similar names and were either cotton workers or coal miners.... so no, now that you mention he was a cotton worker on the marriage cert I am not sure.. it just fitted in with the birth of his children.
I am in touch with another person who is more closely related to the Grime family and she has been researching this family a lot longer than Iand has a lot of more personal knowledge so will have to review
Cheers
Colin

Olde Crone Holden
07-10-11, 11:32
Colin

Can you make a judgement of his personal circumstances on the census? For example, if he is living in a nice house with umpteen servants, he might be a coal miner in the sense that he is the owner of the mine, not a worker and that might reflect inherited wealth from plantations on Barbados.

OC

colin taylor
07-10-11, 16:23
The only thing that struck me about the family is a number of the females brought up a few children but always showed themselves as single and no father is ever shown...and none shown on baptisms seen, common these days but in the 1800s possibly less so

siska
12-10-11, 21:12
Regarding William Grime, Barbados. I`m the person who Colin is in touch with about William. The only thing about the data for him is that it he was born ca.1792 so its difficult to get any info from Barbados as they only started with the church files ca.1816 onwards. I have been intouch with the museums and registra`s in
Barbados but to no avail. William was from 1841(census) a Cotton Spinner and lived in Atherton,Lancashire where he died in 1872, and lived in a normal terraced house, only ever changing to move to the next street. One of his daughters was my gr.gr.grandma. As I said I have been intouch with one or two people about finding out about his birth etc. but draw a blank because of the date. Not sure how to continue but not going to give up.

Olde Crone Holden
12-10-11, 22:26
Hello siska and welcome to FTF.

So he wasn't a coal miner at all, then?

OC

siska
13-10-11, 00:54
Hello and thanks for the welcome. No he was a cotton spinner on every census, though 5 of his sons were coal miners and the eldest was a nail maker and as Colin said his two daughters (one my gr.gr.grandma) had children, and no mention at all of a husband,Jane had 2 and Ann had 5. On her sons marriage certificate, it states "fathers name & profession-William Grime, Spinner" My first thought was that maybe they had put Thomas`s (the one getting married) grandfathers name down, him being William of course. On all 5 children there is no fathers name on any certificate -wow and in those days too! I know we have strong women in our family but in the 1800s, again wow ! Also there were in the same area afew William Grime, one infact with children with the same names, and only afew years difference in birth years. I`ve researched all the family but would love to hear from anyone with info.

colin taylor
13-10-11, 09:27
Me again... many apologies... from reading his ocupation to writing it on here I changed it from Cotton spinner to coal miner... I had been working on this family quite a lot recently it never occurred to me that I had made a mistake in the title of my thread.
Thanks for the help and once again sorry for misleading those who tried to help.

Olde Crone Holden
13-10-11, 09:36
Don't worry Colin, it's not important and I'm glad in a way because it was making me feel very uneasy that a cotton spinner would turn into a coal miner relatively late in life, lol.

Now, he didn't learn to be a cotton spinner in Barbados, so whatever his family were doing out there in 1793, they must have returned to Lancashire before William was much more than 11 or 12, in order for him to pick up the skills.

Do you know where he is buried? There might be a headstone and that just MIGHT have some information about his parents/siblings etc.

OC

kylejustin
13-10-11, 09:43
i guess you can find out if there are other grime's in barbados when the registers do start. they may have left wills of a family bible or something you could use to connect them.......gwyneth paltrow's family were from barbados in the episode last night, maybe there is a way to get back?

Olde Crone Holden
13-10-11, 10:45
According to the LDs website, they hold filmed copies of parish registers for Barbados, covering the period of your interest. The original records are held in the National Archives of Barbados, at Black Rock(? check this location, I didn't write it down!)

OC

kylejustin
13-10-11, 11:13
from watching 'who do you think you are' i got the impression all events for barbados were recorded n the one ledger......that was the 1860's though. i wonder if for the 1790's there would be one ledger or several for barbados. is it possible he wasnt born on barbados but raised there? or maybe like when you say you were born in a city, when in fact you were born in a small town NEAR the city?

Olde Crone Holden
13-10-11, 11:21
Kyle

There are several registers for Barbados, all dating from around the 1600s, so if he was baptised there, there is a good chance of finding him.

OC

margaretmarch
13-10-11, 12:41
On familysearch.org there are any number of Grime births etc in Barbados so maybe there was a family connection there.

Have a look at this site http://greatships.dlhjr.com/Barbados_Family_Research.pdf they seem to have the baptism registers covering the year you are looking for.
Margaret

I posted this up earlier which I think would be the best place to start.
Margaret

JLB
13-10-11, 14:25
there are Barbados baptisms for the period on Ancestry.I had a quick look but could'nt find any "Grime" baptisms but there are several William "Grimes " but they all seem to be coming up as the fathers of the children.

PhotoFamily
14-10-11, 04:16
familysearch catalog had baptisms into the 1700 for barbados. I couldn't figure out if they were all indexed on familysearch
As Margaret said - maybe time to go back to old ideas?

colin taylor
14-10-11, 10:03
I am not sure if it has been mentioned but although the Barbados site was new to me Siska had already been in toch with them.. they offer a free search which turned up nothing and then the names of two researchers.. the first did not do research and the second seemed to leave an avenue open for costs to esculate.
There has been help on this thread which has opened up new ideas not previously considered..
So back to basic research with this one

Olde Crone Holden
14-10-11, 10:08
Colin

If research in Barbados is proving difficult, then why not just view the various films at your nearest LDS family history centre?

However, he may not have been baptised at all, especially if the family were nonconformists as many Lancashire weavers were.

OC

kylejustin
14-10-11, 10:54
it's possible he wouldnt have been baptised, maybe they were non cons, or maybe the registers he was in were destroyed at some point.

colin taylor
14-10-11, 12:46
Yes, that is something else I had not considered... and I should have done as my children are not baptised...

siska
14-10-11, 20:34
Hi, yes as Colin said I have been intouch with a Mrs.Adams of the research dept.Black Rock,Barbados and she did a preliminary baptisim research and didn`t find any William Grime, so maybe I will have to accept that he wasn`t baptised. My thoughts have also been on the thousands of british soldiers that were there at this time ....... who knows!