Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3x Great Grandmother - Bracher or Brasher from Wiltshire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3x Great Grandmother - Bracher or Brasher from Wiltshire!

I am confused as to the name of my Great Great Grandmother Amelia Crook's (b.1823 Salisbury) mother! Amelia's father was Joshua Patrick Crook (b.1793 Cullompton, Devon) and he married Elizabeth Bracher (b.1810 Nunton, Wilts) in 1838 Salisbury. According to 1841/1851 censuses Joshua's first son was born 1817 (Uriah) and then subsequent 12 children appeared right up till 1853 (Cornelius Joshua Crook). Elizabeth could only have been the mother of the last 3. I found another marriage for a Joshua Crook in 1816 St. Mary Wilton, Salisbury to a Elizabeth Brasher but cannot find any birth details etc for her. Can anybody help as I suspect this may be the mother of my relative? Could he have married another relative from the same family?

Many thanks.

Dawn.

My 4 x GGF married three times. Wives number one and number three were both called Mary Robinson and were related.

If you get the birth cert of your relative, that will give you his mother's maiden name - she may have been a widow at marriage - or not, as the case may be.

OC

Comment

Problem being OC that Dawn is looking for details of the first Mrs Crook, and as he married the second one in 1838 children of the first marriage were probably born pre registration starting in mid 1837 , eg Amelia was born 1817, so no birth certificate.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

well she could get the marriage for 1838, and see what she can do with wife number 2. if indeed dawn hasn't made a mistake in her post, and both wives were elizabeth bracher/brasher, they could be cousins. or aunt and niece. or one may have been widowed. maybe both were widows.

Comment

if you can find the burial of the first wife, by this time period her age should be in the burial registers, giving you something on her. and the marriage record may state where she came from, unless for both it is annoyingly "of this parish".

Comment

This death cert might be interesting:

Deaths Dec 1837
            CROOK Elizabeth / Salisbury / 8 / 269

Comment

Thank you everybody for your help. I could order the second marriage cert. but am not sure that it will tell me anything I don't know. I have already found 2nd wife's parents (James Bracher (b.1786 Odstock) & Mary Mead from Compton). It could be that 1st wife was a sister of James Bracher but I haven't found one yet. I will check on the Elizabeth Crook that died in 1837 as the date would fit. I notice there was a gap of 6 years between child no. 9 Elizabeth Crook (b.1834 New Sarum) & child no. 10 Celia Crook (b. 1840 Salisbury).

Comment

Sorry, I misread your post and thought the second wife was your ancestor.

OC

Comment

There's something odd about the 1816 marriage. On familysearch it has a batch number of M07332-1 - source unknown.

By using Hugh Wallis, I saw that M073321 is the marriage register for St Mary Wilton - but the register ends in 1802. The register covering 1816 is M073324 which doesn't appear to be transcribed onto the new familysearch.

In view of that, I think I would want to see the actual 1816 register. It may be that someone has "embroidered" the register and included the wrong spouse's name, or even the incorrect marriage date.

I hope that makes sense!

OC

Comment

Where would I find the register? Would it be at the Wiltshire & Swindon archives centre? Funnily enough I have found several inaccuracies in Amelia Crook's family & marriage. Alot of them were non-conformists. I found that her marriage certificate said she married a George Bushell though most of his life he called himself George Sparks (apart from in 1851 census - George Bushell!). He was a baptist minister and pastor in Isle of Wight. His mother was Mary Sparks and father George Bushell so may have not been married as I can't find a marriage. Their 1st 2 children were George Sparks Bushell and Amelia Sparks Bushell though they dropped the Bushell as well. All very confusing!

Dawn

Comment

Working...
                    X