PDA

View Full Version : Fathers name on Marriage Cert quite different ?

Val wish Id never started
01-10-11, 21:37
Have a William John KNIGHT born 1857 Bermondsey marries in 1895 says Father William John KNIGHT a Currier ??? Deceased

My William John KNIGHT was the Son of a George William KNIGHT a Currier ??

This family are very hard to pin down and I do not know when George William KNIGHT died?? but was possibly between 1865 and 1871

Would you say this is the right man but maybe the Son didn't know his Father's name ???

The Witness's names are no help at all

Thanks

Olde Crone Holden
01-10-11, 21:40
Probably mistranscribed, I have one or two like that where the groom and the groom's father's name are identical. It's usually a copying mistake.

I also have one where the fathers of the bride and groom have been transposed - I hope!

James Holden, father William Grimshaw, married Ellen Grimshaw, father James Holden....

OC

01-10-11, 21:42
lol OC I like that one thanks

Darksecretz
01-10-11, 21:42
is the marr on ancestry Val?

01-10-11, 22:00
hi Julie I didn't find it on there , so sent for the Cert

Night Owl
01-10-11, 22:02
I've got one where the father died when the son was a child. When the son married he gave a different name on the cert for his father - it happened to be his brother's name.

01-10-11, 22:08
thanks Jackie, sad thing is William John had a brother William born 1849 died 1854 and another Brother John born 1852 died 1854 so suppose he was named after the pair of them?

Darksecretz
01-10-11, 22:20
I've got one where the father died when the son was a child. When the son married he gave a different name on the cert for his father - it happened to be his brother's name.

yep I have one or two like that too!..

01-10-11, 23:01
they didn't make it easy did they ? nite all

LeicestershireLass
02-10-11, 09:25

I've got one like this too + spouse's wrong christian name given on widow's death cert ... spent many hours (or should I say months/years) trying to ascertain if phantom father/spouse existed.

02-10-11, 11:09
good to know there are so many mistakes .;)