Struggling with 1911 census ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with 1911 census ...

Thanks to Elaine in Spain I know the formula for finding people in 1911, however when they are listed in Ancestry's indexes simply as Mr or Mrs SoandSo and not knowing their exact address it is proving to be quite a task.

I've ascertained via another 1911 site that information exists about William Joseph Henry Stevenson b1861 (aged 50) Leicester - how do I transfer this knowledge to find him on Ancestry????
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

not sure, I was going to suggest address, but as you are not sure of that either, then, I guess that it'll be a case of looking at the individual records, I do wish that Ancestry would hurry up with the indexing of the flippin census so that it makes it damned easier to use!!
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It's not always easy!
      I presume you have found him on a free search of the 1911 census site.
      Using his full name in "other members in household" see if you can find out how many people were in the household - looks like there was one other male and three females, making two male/three females in total.

Then go to the Ancestry summary book - enter Stevenson for surname, Leicester for civil parish, and two male and three females.
      There are only 5 results shown so you could check these out -

Of course it doesn't always work because there might have been a lodger or relative living in the household with a different surname which hasn't been picked up by doing the free search on the 1911 census site.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks for advice ... I've tried a variety of search techniques to try and find him on Ancestry.

I can't understand why FMP have workable indexes and Ancestry haven't ?????

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post

I can't understand why FMP have workable indexes and Ancestry haven't ?????
          .. because Ancestry keeps saying "coming soon" and don't deliver! :D
          Elaine

Comment

There's also a Nellie Cliff in the household.

Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post

Moggie
              Hi Moggie - I can't see her with the family at Fosse Road ????

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post

Moggie
                Not in the one I found - which I think is the Fosse Road entry.
                Elaine

Comment

How odd
                  I put William Joseph Stevenson in the "other members of household box" & Nellie Cliff age 15 servant pops up.
                  Moggie

Comment

hi again Moggie ... we were surprised that there wasn't a servant listed with the family ... are you able to expand on your info?

Comment

Nellie Cliff is living with a Frank William Stephenson and family.
                      Elaine

Comment

thanks for clarification Elaine ...

Comment

Working...
                        X