Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HURSK William abt 1818 to 1890. was he born in Wivenhoe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HURSK William abt 1818 to 1890. was he born in Wivenhoe?

We have lots of info about William Hursk, censuses 1851 through to 1881, and all his family. Records are quite consistent about his occupation and birth place but confirmation of his actual birth and parentage has proved ellusive. Family descendents have always said he was related to the Husk family in Wivenhoe and all the census records say Wivenhoe was his birthplace. We have 2 possible baptisms one in Boxted, Essex in 1820 gives mothers name only, Sarah Hursk. One in Westminster 1815 gives fathers name which is William (corresponds with WH's marriage cert). I would favour the Boxted record as it's closer to Wivenhoe and closer to the age given on all the census'. Problem is I cant confirm either without a bigger picture of his family to tie them up and records seem to dry up around his possible parentage. There are Hursk's dotted about in the records but none are clearly related.

No William Husk's in Wivenhoe records match the date range or family details that we know so haven't been able to go in that direction with confidence. Have looked at name variations in spellings but nothing slots into place.

Has anyone got his name in their records? I have more info if anyone can help.

Thanks
    Corinne

Corinne, what was Williams fathers occupation from the marriage cert please?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

William's father was a mariner on the marriage cert.

Corinne

Comment

Hi Corinne,

just for ref:
        The 3 censuses I have found him on give Wivenhoe and Colchester as POB
        1851 Wivenhoe Ess living St George in the East - Mariner - HO107; Piece: 1548; Folio: 205; Page: 2
        1861 Colchester Ess living Stepney - Mariner - RG9; Piece: 296; Folio: 143; Page: 5;
        1881 Navistock / image is Wivenhoe Ess living Poplar - General Labourer - RG11; Piece: 511; Folio: 8; Page: 9

Boxted is quite a way south of Colchester and even further south of Wivenhoe.
        Have you looked at the Wivenhoe parish records?
        They are not online yet but SEAX -Essex R O - are digitising them at the moment so hopefully they won't be long.

(I need to look at them too!)

Last edited by Katarzyna; 30-09-11, 23:37. Reason: incorrect info
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I can't see a baptism for Boxted in Essex. Did you mean Boxted Suffolk? (The one on family search) That's even further away.
          Kat

Comment

Just a thought here, but have you tried looking for a non-con baptism? http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

edit to say: spose you have looked at HURST too?
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 01-10-11, 09:00.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Have checked all variant spellings including some ridiculous ones – was transcribedHurak in one record!

I have the 1871 census too at 24 Grove St, East London. I think eitherthe recorder had a hearing problem or was spoken to in a funny accent asWilliam was recorded as Nathan and the birth place was Ivanhoe. I cannot find aplace called Ivanhoe even searching old maps of the time so assume it should beWivenhoe. Sounds similar....

Yes Boxted is in Suffolk, not Essex, sorry. Although Boxted andColchester are a fair way from Wivenhoe, I think the Boxted baptism is areasonable possibility as many of the family through the Hursk side (Wenden andSiggers) come from Bures and the Essex/Suffolk border areas and migrated towardLondon during the 1800’s following the building work trail. It is closest tohis age too although I’m aware baptisms weren’t always near the birth time. Plusthe fact that we have found Hursk’s there but none in Wivenhoe.

I have tried coming at it from other directions too like there are manyHURSK’s at Wickhambrook, Suffolk but have not found a link I can confidentlyuse to trace back to William. Wivenhoe parish records were not available whenwe enquired but that was some yrs ago. Will certainly look when the ERO getsthem online! There is quite a lot of printed material about the Husk’s who wereyacht builders at Wivenhoe but no clues found. I have trawled local village websites andlocal historical records and many original records have been searched over thelast 20 yrs wherever we found a Hursk name in the area from any era!

The only records I haven’t really looked deeply into are seaman’srecords although I have searched many census’ returns for vessels and ships –no Hursk’s. There are Hursk’s in America but can find no unexplained ones tofit.

Thanks again
              Corinne

Comment

Have you tried Astro Lady's thread re Seafaring Ancestors?

Kat

Comment

Thanks for that Kat, have put in a request.

Corinne

Comment

WHITAKER connection in Tolleshunt, Essex area - I have a new lead for William HURSK b abt 1820 in Wivenhoe.
                    William had two sisters whose name was spelt HUSK in the records - Maria b 1831 and Caroline b 1828 both in West St, Wivenhoe in the 1841census, staying with the Bridges family. I am about to look for the Hu(r)sk family in the Wivenhoe Parish registers as it looks like they are on SEAX now.
                    Caroline Hu(r)sk 1828 married a John Whitaker 1814-1849 widower in Tolleshunt D'arcy in 1850 and one of their children Benjamin Thomas Whitaker (1853-1912) was William Hursk's nephew. This Benjamin Thos Whitaker married his cousin Sarah Ann Hursk in 1880, daughter of our William Hursk. Keep it in the family huh! Benjamin and Sarah moved to Gateshead in Durham and had 9 children.
                    I would welcome any info on the link between the Hursk/Husk and Whitaker family in Essex in the 1800's if it rings any bells with anyone.

Thanks
                    Corinne

Comment

Hi Corinne
                      Maria Husk died in 1849, buried 14th Aug at Wivenhoe.
                      Sarah Bridges from the 1841 census could be Caroline & Maria's mother. A second marriage to John Bridges c1831/2. No burial for William snr at Wivenhoe maybe he died at sea. Noticed there was also a James Husk, blacksmith living at Wivenhoe.
                      Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie
                        Thank you so much for those details! Now I'm excited! This is the closest I've got to pinning down the certain origin of old William after nearly 30 years hunting! I'm off to do some searching.
                        Thanks again.... I love this site, you are all so helpful :-)
                        Corinne

Comment

Hi Corinne
                          I think it would be worthwhile paying out to view the Wivenhoe registers on SEAX.

I did notice that the digitised marriages only go up to 1837 but you might be lucky & find a marriage of Sarah to John Bridges & if you are even luckier you might find her marriage to William Hursk. She was born in Wivenhoe so it would have been the obvious place for the marriages to have taken place.
                          Moggie

Comment

Corinne

To the best of my knowledge Sarah Husk the mother of William died in 1821 at Boxted. Her son [illegitimate I believe] then reappears in the Dover area. He was my great great grandfather. I believe there may be a connection between the Husk family at Wivenhoe and the one at Dover but I do not know what it is. It was only in recent years that I learned of the Wivenhoe Husks.

I have information about those in Dover but I have not done the original research

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter, thanks for that, I didn't know about the Dover Husks! Tell me more... Did William grow up using the name Husk when he was baptised Hursk? Thanks to the good folks here on FTF and a private member on Ancestry, I have found the proof that William Hursk 1818-1890 did indeed come from Wivenhoe and he was the oldest child of William Hursk/Husk 1787-1830 and Sarah Day. When Sarah was widowed, she married widower John Bridges and had 3 more children. I paid to view Wivenhoe parish registers on ECC Seax and found a lot of entries to confirm our William and his family. (Thanks Moggie - see above - good advice). I got really excited after such a long search for proof. Hope it doesn't take me another 30 years to get back past William senior, I'll be about 90! (21+30 does make 90 doesn't it!!)...

It seems the Wivenhoe Husks kept the spelling of Husk but they are Hursk depending which documents you look at. Have you got any connection with the Hursk/t families in Wickhambrook, Suffolk? We found a lot there in 19th century but haven't yet established a link.

Thanks again everyone

Corinne

Comment

William HUSK born Boxted Suffolk 20 Nov 1820

Corinne

I believe that two families are being confused although I would not be surprised if a connection exists but I think that would be in the 18th century. To the best of my knowledge "my" Sarah never married. Her son William seems to be the creator of the Dover Husks. I have never found the name Hursk mentioned with regard to "my" family but I am aware that the spelling exists.

I have some details that I can send you but am having trouble sorting out how to remove the information from a .pdf file. Will try again over the weekend

Peter

Comment

Corinne
                                  This is the info that I promised earlier. I would certainly appreciate learning how the two families intertwine. Hope your researches bear fruit. Please ignore the superscript numbers, they refer to sources

Peter

Descendants of Sarah HUSK

The following is the information I have gathered from various sources but as I have not done the specific research I cannot confirm the details. They do however fit with what I have found from family sources

First Generation
                                  1. Sarah HUSK,’ believed daughter of Thomas HUSK ( - ) and Margaret born on 7 November 1795 in Tilbrook Cambs. She died on 28 July 1821 in Boxted Suffolk.

Sarah HUSK had one child WILLIAM, (1820-1906) I have not traced the father

Second Generation
                                  2. William HUSK,2 son of Sarah HUSK, was born on 20 November 1820. He married Susannah FAGG on 16 December 1842 in Ewell.5 He died on 22 February 1906 in Primrose Road (Buckland?).’ He was buried in Buckland.’
                                  She and William HUSK had 12 children: my ancestor was

George HUSK (185l-1932) married Clara ATKINS on 10 March 1873 in Dover. He died on 10 March 1932. He was buried in 1932 in Buckland.’ Among their children was

Jesse Charles HUSK. born on 29 October 1877 in Buckland in Dover. He married Nora Elizabeth LATTER on 25 December 1905. He died 1936

They had three children, my mother was one of them

Comment

Hi Corinne
                                    Did you look for a baptism for William Husk/Hursk born c 1787 at Wivenhoe? Neither the NBI or FMP show the burial of William (1787) in 1830 at Wivenhoe. The nearest I could find was a William Ham in 1830. Was it a mistranscription?
                                    Moggie

Comment

I think it must be a mistranscription Moggie, as I found the burial of William Husk 17 Aug 1830 age 43 buried at St Mary's in Wivenhoe. I did look for a baptism but couldn't find one - I got a birth year from his age at burial.
                                      Corinne

Comment

Hi Peter
                                        Thanks for the info and I will look into any connections now I have your details. I'll let you know if I find any.
                                        I re-checked my notes as you said Sarah and William were named HUSK. The records I found on Ancestry http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...irth&h=4691828 were definitely HURSK and on Family Search too, there were three records all the same but with varying ref numbers. https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ar%3A1820-1820

I haven't looked at the original documents, only the transcriptions on the two sites but I think I'll try and give the originals a look and see if it is a mistranscription.

Corinne

Comment

Working...
                                        X