1841 Census Stephenson Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 Census Stephenson Family

I'm wondering if someone could please check the 1841 English Census please...The Stephenson family (Arthur and Mary) of Houghton Le Spring (possible Flat Engine?) Durham England. I am looking for names and ages of children (there is some confusion over one child in particular and the census is the only way to verify) At least one child William was about 2 or 3 yrs old.
    Thanks in advance!! - Eden

Arthur Stephenson 30
    Mary Stephenson 30
    Alice Stephenson 8
    Isabella Stephenson 5
    William Stephenson 1

Someone has sent in a correction for the name which has been mistranscribed (the first 'n' missed off). Are you aware of other researchers?

Margaret

Comment

Images of the parish registers (BTs) for Houghton le Spring are available on Family Search - click here
      Might be worth scrolling through to see if you can confirm the children's names.
      Elaine

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

If you look in the collection
        England, Diocese of Durham Bishops' Transcripts ca., 1700-1900
        Durham - Houghton le Spring - 1830-1847

and scroll through the images you might be able to find some relevant entries.
        On a quick look I can see the baptism of the eldest child, William - on page 395
        Batism 23 February 1840 - William (born 18 Dec 1839) son of Arthur and Mary Stephenson - abode Flat Engine - occ. Engineman
        Elaine

Comment

Thank you to all who responded. I have been unable to find a baptism for Alice, and Isabella appears to be the daughter of 'William and Margaret' when I was searching the transcripts.(unless there is another Isabella Stephenson that I have missed) I also found a birth/ baptism for Bartholomew (baptised 11/03/1838), but no burial. But there is another Bartholomew baptised in 1842 - so hence my confusion. Also the research shows Arthur born 13/5/1807 and Mary born 10/12/1811, so while Mary's age is 30, Arthur's isn't right. William who is listed as 'age 1' on the census is my great grandfather and died in 1918. I know Mary couldn't write at the time of her marriage (signed with an 'X' ) so perhaps someone else filled in the forms. However, I am still confused!!

Comment

In the 1841 census people over 15 were supposed to have their ages rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5 years so although Arthur would have been about 32 his age would have been recorded as 30. In fact a lot of enumerators didn't stick to this rule but if you look at the other pages all the adults ages are multiples of 5
            Jackie

Comment

Working...
            X