Going to Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Australia

Thank you for the birthday greetings you sent!

I have decided to spend the day researching.

Some years ago, I discovered that my great grandmother's brother, Thomas Gillan, had come to Australia, (he stayed here, and died in 1914 and is buried in Sydney). It is a hugely long and fascinating story. I did find out how and when he travelled, but have had no luck in finding when his "wife" and children came.

The reason for the inverted commas is that they were married in Scotland, but he was already married, and the second one was declared bigamous, and he was sent to prison for it. (I don't know where or for how long. What was the sentence for bigamy? Six months in Barlinnie?

He came to Australia as crew on a ship in 1881, and I searched for Margaret and the children after that date, and found no sign of them. I was contacted by a 'relative' who had seen my posts somewhere or other, and he said that he thought that she had come out with other members of her family, but had no information as to how or when.

I had always assumed that he came out first, and she followed with the children. Now I think that when he was sent to gaol, she came out here with her family, (Mum, Dad & siblings), and Thomas followed her.

My big difficulty is, what name did she travel under?

Thomas did not use his own name when he married her, he called himself Thomas Glen. Her maiden name was Margaret Buchanan Burns. The Buchanan was her mother's maiden name, and she gave it to their daughter as a second name, (Elizabeth Buchanan Gillan. Their son was James Burns Gillan). I do know that he used his real name when living in Weston, NSW.

I don't know if they were ever able to marry legally, but I do know that they stayed together until hid death in 1914.

I'm sorry it has been so long winded, but I did say it was a long story!

If anyone can come up with an idea as to how I would go about finding this lady, I would be most grateful.

Thanking you in anticipation

Ann Bentley

Do you have an approximate year of birth for Margaret and the children?

Comment

Do you have the marriage certificate for Thomas and Margaret? It should be annoted "bigamous" if bigamy was proven. The marriage took place in 1872, so if he did not travel until 1881 I would imagine Margaret travelled in her "married" name of Gillan - I think that Glen is just a mis-hearing of the surname Gillan, it's not much use as a disguise!

OC

Comment

I see from your thread on ancestry that you do indeed have the marriage certificate and that it is marked bigamous 6 May 1875. It would be fair to assume that he went to prison in May 1875 and as he was aboard ship in 1881, he didn't go to prison for long - six months to a year was the norm, where no harm was done.

If Margaret is on the Scottish 1881 census, then she must have left after him but as they resumed their married life in Australia it would seem likely she went about the same time as he did.

OC

Comment

Ladies! Thank you for your replies!

Mary - Margaret was born c1854, New Monklands, Lanarkshire, Scotland, Elizabeth 1873 and I'm not sure of James' year of birth.

O.C. - Yes! I have the marriage certificate, and know that he was sent to gaol for his sins. I have not found Margaret on the 1881 census, she might well have left the country by that time, or moved back in with family. Who knows! According to the 'Rellie' who contacted me, there were quite a few of the Burns/Buchanan lot that finished up out here. He was able to tell me who the children had married, and that the Gillan name seems to have died out, as James had only daughters that have been traced.

He said that the "Bigamous Marriage" was a family story, but he had had no proof before that there was any truth in it.

Isn't it lovely when we can pass on information, and spread the story round.

I did have a site that showed ships and passenger lists for the appropriate era, but on my computer 'dying' I lost that information, and the old brainbox is not as sharp as it once was, so I have no idea where to look any more.

Thanks again for your replies. I do appreciate them.

Ann

Comment

i think the NSW government website has shipping lists on it.

Comment

Here are some possibles:
              We couldn't locate this page on our website. Sorry!   We do our best to ensure that all of the links on our website are working correctly so you may be using a bookmarked link to content that is no longer available. The specific content you're looking for may have changed or been retired (such as any links to access the collection). If you go directly to prov.vic.gov.au you should be able to navigate to the content you're seeking by searching the catalogue (for records) or website (for articles, blogs or other website content).

which includes three lots of passenger lists.

see part way down the page

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you Kyle & Christine!

Still looking!

Comment

Not had any luck! Maybe she swam out!

Comment

Working...
                  X