Irish ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish ancestors

I have found my first Irish ancestor, my 3rd g grandfather. And would appreciate some advice on the best way of searching for his birth in Ireland.

All I know of him is his name and the fact that he is recorded as being born in Ireland on his son's wedding certificate.

He would have been born abt. 1798.....but where to start looking? What part of Ireland?
    Last edited by Jen~Ealogy; 26-09-11, 22:48.
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Here is a link to some BMD's. Not all counties are there yet but they are adding more.

I found my GGGrandmother's baptism on there which gave me another generation to search for.

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post
      I have found my first Irish ancestor, my 3rd g grandfather. And would appreciate some advice on the best way of searching for his birth in Ireland.

All I know of him is his name and the fact that he is recorded as being born in Ireland on his son's wedding certificate.

He would have been born abt. 1798.....but where to start looking? What part of Ireland?
      Familysearch.org has quite a few Irish records on there now also Ancestry has a new data set for Ireland.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
        Here is a link to some BMD's. Not all counties are there yet but they are adding more.

I found my GGGrandmother's baptism on there which gave me another generation to search for.

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/welcome.html
        Thanks Wendy, I will certainly look at anything just now but what is worrying me is with a name like Michael Flinn and no knowledge of area of birth.....how on earth can one be sure it is your ancestor???
        Jen

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          Familysearch.org has quite a few Irish records on there now also Ancestry has a new data set for Ireland.

Margaret

Thank you too Margaret.....think this is going to prove one huge brick wall to demolish.
          Jen

Comment

I'm afraid it's going to be practically impossible without knowing where he came from.

Comment

Unfortunately that is often the case with Irish ancestors - I have the same problem and it's just a case of 'chipping' away at the wall! LOL

Comment

i assume michael flynn's child was also born in ireland?

Comment

No Kyle Michael Flinn's children all appear to have been born in Manchester.
                  Michael married Mary Whalley at the Collegiate Church Cathedral Manchester on 4/11/1833. This is the only known fact plus his name on his son Thomas' marriage cert, that I have of him thanks to Moggie.

My cousin has always been adamant that the Flinn family originated in Wales as opposed to Ireland. Someone, somewhere in the family inadvertantly gave her this information, though I myself, had never come across it until I asked her if she knew anything at all about this line. Of course we all know that in many instances, family are not very helpful........so I expect I won't get any further with this line as all the oldies are long gone and we never knew enough to begin with.

I have been trying to look at Mary Whalley but there are many Mary Whalley's on LDS, with only one probable at the moment but even this would be difficult to prove.
                  Jen

Comment

Originally posted by Jen~Ealogy View Post

I have not seen that before.
                    Joy

Comment

Civil registration for births in Ireland began in 1864 so before that, unless one is lucky enough to find a baptism in a site somewhere, it will not be easy to discover more about him, sorry.
                      Joy

Comment

Thank you Joy. I realise it will take rather a large miracle to discover anything more especially when I haven't a clue where in Ireland he was born.
                        Jen

Comment

Having said that, sometimes people can be found in the military records in find my past. I shall have a look, just in case. BRB.
                          Joy

Comment

There was one born 1782 Cootehill, Cavan, another born 1787 Stratbally, Queens (Laois).
                            Joy

Comment

Think both of those would have been too early Joy. By my reckoning from 1841 census, he was 35, so birth was about 1806.
                              Jen

Comment

Ah well, at least you know as much as you do which is good
                                Joy

Comment

True Joy. Another one bites the dust.
                                  Jen

Comment

so he is in the 1841 census. do you have a death cert? that would be more accurate age wise than the 1841 census.

Comment

No I haven't Kyle, this ancestor only turned up a few days ago thanks to help here, and hadn't got round to thinking about that....you have opened up another avenue, I shall have to go and try and find a death for him. Thanks Kyle.
                                      Jen

Comment

Working...
                                      X