Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restarting the Search.

Hey there guys and girls

I am restarting a new thread for the search of Alexander McNeil MacIntyre's death certificate.

About him:

Born: 31st January 1893 - Irvine, Ayrshire, Scotland
    Residence: in the 1901 and 1911 census he is living in Loudoun Kirk, Galston (also comes under Newmilns), Scotland.
    War: He was in the war from 1914 - 1918 and only seen his first battle in the 2B Balkans on 6/6/1915 with the 1/4 Royal Scots Fusiliers.
    His soldier numbers: 7308 and later 200175 (as all territorials were renumbered in 1917.)
    He received the 1914/15 Star, The british war medal and the victory medal.

After 1918 is a blank until:

- 1921 when he is leaving from Liverpool on the Boat SS Carmania his last permanent residence was in Muirkirk, Scotland.
    - 1/9/1924 he gets married to a woman by the name of Agnes Ferguson Weir in Wentworth, Ontario, Canada. (he obviously met her as she was from Muirkirk as they get married a couple of months after she arrives.
    - I have his USA naturalization on 17/6/1929 he is living in Kenosha, Wisconsin with Agnes. His address is 3220 - 14th avenue.
    - 1930 Census reveals Allie (Allic?) M(a)cIntyre living with Nancy M(a)cIntyre living at 4600 in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
    - 28/11/1930 they have a son by the name of Walter McNeil MacIntyre.
    - 1931 Agnes and Walter leave from Montreal to go back to Scotland. They have a return ticket but no return voyage has been found.

If anyone can assist that would be brilliant

Why have you started a new thread???? All the work and information is on the first thread and it would really be better to continue on there so that all the work doesn't get repeated.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Why have you started a new thread???? All the work and information is on the first thread and it would really be better to continue on there so that all the work doesn't get repeated.

OC
      The thing was getting very big and noone was replying to my answers. and that basically is all the information in my post.

Comment

David -
        Several suggestions:
        * post a link to the previous thread, so that those of us not in the know can leap back to it easily

* contact the findagrave memorial page manager (Don, I think) - ask if he knows anything more about the Walter

* request a photo of the headstone, and at the same time, ask the volunteer photographer to photo any graves in the immediate area if they are for any of the known names

* contact the church where Walter's funeral was held - google the church's name. They probably have their own website. Ask if they would forward your email to any surviving members - including Walter's wife, if she still survives.

So, is the assumption that Alexander stayed in the US when Agnes & Walter went back to Scotland? Do we know if Alexander died before they left?

Have you tried looking for Kenosha obits?

best wishes
        sarah
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 27-09-11, 02:52.

Comment

Ohhhh, very interesting. There is no cemetery associated with the memorial page - burial is listed as unknown! I'd definitely contact Don!

Comment

City directory for Kenosha, Kenosha, Wisconsin:
            1931 - Macintyre Alex M (Agnes) winder h3103 14th av
            1933 - McIntyre Alex mach adjuster Allen-A Co r1626 60th
            1935 - McIntyre Alex r1626 60th

I don't have access to later Kenosha City directories, altho they probably exist.

Remember, these were hard economic times - the middle of the Great Depression. I wonder if Agnes & child went back for a visit, and just stayed . . .

There is another Alexander MacIntyre born ~1892, Canada, living in Kenosha in the 1930, but he wasn't doing machine work?

I think the next best steps are to try to locate the county's vital records and see if they allow searches without a DOD. County Genealogical Societies and Historical Societies could be useful - they probably have old newspapers & directories.

You can try posting a request on Ancestry's county forum. Someone might pick it up for you.

Curious that he answered yes to the military question - it was specifically asking about US service. May have been misinterpreted, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              City directory for Kenosha, Kenosha, Wisconsin:
              1931 - Macintyre Alex M (Agnes) winder h3103 14th av
              1933 - McIntyre Alex mach adjuster Allen-A Co r1626 60th
              1935 - McIntyre Alex r1626 60th

I don't have access to later Kenosha City directories, altho they probably exist.

Remember, these were hard economic times - the middle of the Great Depression. I wonder if Agnes & child went back for a visit, and just stayed . . .

There is another Alexander MacIntyre born ~1892, Canada, living in Kenosha in the 1930, but he wasn't doing machine work?

I think the next best steps are to try to locate the county's vital records and see if they allow searches without a DOD. County Genealogical Societies and Historical Societies could be useful - they probably have old newspapers & directories.

You can try posting a request on Ancestry's county forum. Someone might pick it up for you.

Curious that he answered yes to the military question - it was specifically asking about US service. May have been misinterpreted, of course.
              Where did you get all this from? Can you link please?

Comment

Will PM

Comment

Hi David,
                  Have you had any joy at the local register office in finding Agnes Ferguson Weir's death certificate? I think it was 1969??
                  Sometimes a sideways search leads to clues. Perhaps an informant on the death of Agnes would provide a clue. EG - was she listed as a widow or was Alexander living etc.
                  These clues all help to narrow the time frame.
                  Also, I have heard of other people who had families who have married couples with one in the US and the other in the UK. As PhotoFamily has said - these were hard times - perhaps Agnes and her son went back to family in England for support whilst Alexander stayed and tried to make a living!?

Keep at it - good to see all you have already.
                  herky
                  Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

It's also possible they divorced. Not sure about Wisconsin laws, but I had 3 Illinois ancestors who divorced around the turn of the century. Divorce was more easily obtained in the US, I think. Or, Alexander could have pre-deceased her, but after she left for Scotland.

Comment

Well I am chasing up a death which is an "Alexander M MacIntyre" in Montana which is here: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...eath89&indiv=1 It says "Married of Separated" so could this be him? How would I go about asking Montana state if I can proof read it as I live in Scotland?

Comment

Originally posted by David Nisbet View Post
                        Well I am chasing up a death which is an "Alexander M MacIntyre" in Montana which is here: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...eath89&indiv=1 It says "Married of Separated" so could this be him? How would I go about asking Montana state if I can proof read it as I live in Scotland?
                        I would be very tempted to think it related to this Alexander MacIntyre
                        Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                        Elaine

Comment

SS Death Index gives his date of birth as 24th May 1883
                          Elaine

Comment

Ahh now how did you get that information up? Im still a novice geneologist :P

Comment

A very basic search on www.ancestry.co.uk
                              SEARCH ALL RECORDS
                              First name: Alexander
                              Last name: M*cintyre (use of asterisk as a wildcard - in case surname has been entered as McIntyre or MacIntyre - would pick up both)
                              State: Montana
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                A very basic search on www.ancestry.co.uk
                                SEARCH ALL RECORDS
                                First name: Alexander
                                Last name: M*cintyre (use of asterisk as a wildcard - in case surname has been entered as McIntyre or MacIntyre - would pick up both)
                                State: Montana
                                Thank you very much Also, It's pain staking work trying to find a death certificate for this guy.. He's killing me :P

Comment

Another record.. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...b=ssdi&indiv=1 Could this be him? I know the D.o.B is wrong but it could be wrong on the Ancestry website.. Also his SSN was registered before 1951 and in Wisconsin

Comment

I think we already eliminated that one!
                                    Elaine

Comment

Oh ok.. Where can we go from here? I can't go to my local registry office as I have school and by the time I come out it's closed.. I could get my grandmother to go during the day if I asked her. So.. Where can I go from here?

Comment

As Herky suggested above, I think it might be wise to start with the death of Agnes and find out if she was a widow at the time or whether Alexander was still around, maybe even the informant.

I had a look for a possible death for Alexander when I was helping you on the other thread, but couldn't see anything obvious. Sometimes it's necessary to carry on the research with another member of the family in the hope that a link appears at some point.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X