Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching Stokes / Wright ? jeffs

Fairly new to searching
    Looking for my grandmother Mable Daisy Stokes nee Wright b; 8-4-1893 Islington
    Married Thomas William Stokes 4-8-1912 in Walthamstow, London
    They had 2 children William Thomas b; 1912 (my father) & Lillian Rose b; 1915
    I have an education cert. For Lillian dated 1929 which she signed M.Wright
    not Stokes, after this can find no record
    Her husband Thomas then remarried in 19-10-1935
    My father William & Lillian were brought up by their grandmother in walthamstow Minnie Wright nee Jeffs b; 9-9-1876 in Edlesborough Leighton Buzzard & married Arthur Edwin Wright 4-6-1908 in Islington. I have a letter to my father William written at the beginning of the 2nd world war 1940? & at this time she lived at Jasmine,Wittem Rd., Canvey Island. I have photos of family at her home on canvey. Again I can’t find her death . She could have moved/died when Canvey was flooded in 1953
    The road is still there but with more modern bungalows
    Any help would be appreciated

Hello and welcome to the forum,

do you have your grandparents marriage certificate at all?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

just trying to get some ideas here, how sure are you that the M. Wright that signed the education cert, is Mabel and not Minnie?

and do you have Thomas Williams second marriage cert? as this would probably assertain whether he was indeed a widower at his second marriage.
      Julie

Comment

Yes I have the marr cert of Mable Daisy to Thomas William And the Marr cert of Artur Edwin Wright to Minnie Jeffs.
        Don't have thomas williams 2nd marr cert on 19-10-1935
        You could be right It could be Minnie who signed the education cert. It gives the mother & fathers full names (Mable Daisy Stokes) & the address given Is where Minnie & Arthur Edwin were living in 1911 census (2 fairfield rd.,Walthamstow) Never thought of this.
        Last edited by willsto; 26-09-11, 14:39.

Comment

I have looked on freebmd and also ancestry and cant find a death for mabel daisy stokes tho there are 2 marriages in 1933 for 'mabel d stokes' in kent. Maybe she and thomas divorced?
          Angelina

Comment

I think that the first course of action would be to get the second marriage cert, this will then tell us if William was a widower or not. (and also we can narrow the search for Mabels death).
            Julie

Comment

ok am a bit confused here:

Minnie JEFFS marries Arthur WRIGHT 4th June 1905 @ St Marks Church Islington. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/...&ln=Jeffs&st=g

yet they are passing themselves off as married on the census?

1901:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1901&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 1253; Folio: 17; Page: 26.
              Julie

Comment

Yes I noticed that minnie & arthur were living at the same address (398 Hornsey Rd.,Islington) when they married. Got an emailed copy of the married cert for Thomas Williams 2nd marr; from my sister who did some research 20 yrs ago & it does state widower on it but his christian names are reversed to William Thomas but married to the right woman

Comment

I'm wondering if the family photos you mention might help to narrow down just when they were living on Canvey Island.
                  Moggie

Comment

Looking at the photos again,I am in a pram & later on the beach which puts them 1935 to 39
                    In the letter the gran writes about the large bombing raid on Elephant & Castle.searching the internet,
                    there was a big bombing of this area autumn 1940 / spring 1941

Comment

Here's the Wright family in 1911

WRIGHT, Arthur Edwin Head Married M 40 1871 Cycle Gnamiller Holloway Islington
                      WRIGHT, Minnie Wife Married 18 years F 36 1875 Slapton Buckinghamshire
                      WRIGHT, Mabel Faisy Daughter Single F 17 1894 Daily Maid Holloway Islington
                      WRIGHT, Florence Ethel Daughter F 13 1898 School Tottenham
                      WRIGHT, Arthur Edwin Son M 12 1899 School Tottenham VIEW
                      WRIGHT, Ivy Christina Daughter F 9 1902 Tottenham VIEW
                      WRIGHT, Grace Annie Daughter F 7 1904 Walthamstow Essex
                      WRIGHT, Reginald Son M 5 1906 Walthamstow Essex
                      WRIGHT, Olive Kathleen Daughter F 0 (8 MONTHS) 1911 Walthamstow Essex
                      Reference:
                      RG14PN9724 RG78PN514B RD188 SD10 ED50 SN290

Registration District:
                      West Ham Sub District:
                      Walthamstow
                      Address:
                      2 Fairfield Road

Interestingly they say they have been married 18 years !

Comment

Is it worth seeing what electoral rolls are available at the Canvey Island library for the years you know they lived there. I don't think they were done during the War years but the first one after that or after the flooding may help to establish if they were still there then.
                        Margaret

Comment

How about this marriage
                          Mabel Wright
                          Spouse Surname: Bowden
                          Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1935
                          Registration district: Rochford Inferred County: Essex
                          Volume Number: 4a Page Number: 2338

Canvey Island did come under Rochford for registrations from 1931

Margaret

Disregard this as her name would have been Stokes
                          Last edited by margaretmarch; 27-09-11, 11:29.

Comment

Hmmn though I thought as Thomas remarries as a widower in 1935 that Mabel had already died?, I realise of course that he could have lied to cover something up and then remarried and turned his name around, but then again why do that? why not just use his name the right way as he had been using it?
                            Julie

Comment

there is a death for a Mabel Wright in dec q 1925 edmonton. vol 3a page 662 she was aged 31,

am looking for more possibles.
                              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                there is a death for a Mabel Wright in dec q 1925 edmonton. vol 3a page 662 she was aged 31,

am looking for more possibles.
                                s'alright, ignore me should be looking under STOKES
                                Julie

Comment

Hi
                                  Can you remember Minnie & Arthur Edwin? I'm wondering if they were evacuated to Canvey Island when the war started. Not the best place to move to but people were evacuated there from London. Maybe they moved back to Walthamstow after the war. With such a common surname it's hard to know if you have found the right person but there is a death of an Arthur E Wright (born about 1869) in the 2nd qtr of 1951 Essex South Western which I think would include Walthamstow. I think the electoral registers for 1930s-1940s will be at the Essex Record Office. I don't know if Canvey came under the Southend area but the earliest register held locally for Southend is 1949.
                                  Moggie

Just checked on FreeBMD & Walthamstow does come under Essex S.W.
                                  Last edited by maudarby; 27-09-11, 11:02.

Comment

hmmn, nothing for a Mabel Stokes in time frame 1915-1935

BUT.

I have found a death for a DAISY STOKES aged 21.>>> Dec q 1916>>> Hampstead>>> vol 1a>>> page 802.
                                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                                      Hi
                                      Can you remember Minnie & Arthur Edwin? I'm wondering if they were evacuated to Canvey Island when the war started. Not the best place to move to but people were evacuated there from London. Maybe they moved back to Walthamstow after the war. With such a common surname it's hard to know if you have found the right person but there is a death of an Arthur E Wright (born about 1869) in the 2nd qtr of 1951 Essex South Western which I think would include Walthamstow. I think the electoral registers for 1930s-1940s will be at the Essex Record Office. I don't know if Canvey came under the Southend area but the earliest register held locally for Southend is 1949.
                                      Moggie

Just checked on FreeBMD & Walthamstow does come under Essex S.W.
                                      There's several trees on ancestry for this family and they have Arthur Edwin deceased in 24 April 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                        Hmmn though I thought as Thomas remarries as a widower in 1935 that Mabel had already died?, I realise of course that he could have lied to cover something up and then remarried and turned his name around, but then again why do that? why not just use his name the right way as he had been using it?
                                        He might have thought there would be a match up to his name the other way round. Wouldn't be the first person to lie about their status on a marriage. Perhaps there was a divorce and he didn't want to admit to that.
                                        Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X