Harry / Henry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry / Henry

I have a Harry Potts on 1911 census born 1905. I have searched for a birth for him in the area (Colne - reg district Burnley, Lancs) but cannot find anything. There are 2 Henry Potts births around the correct time. Is it possible that he was named Henry and known as Harry?
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

I would think it very possible.

Do you know which name he used when he married?

Jane

Comment

No Jane, I haven't got that far yet, I am tracing forward from a 2xg aunt.
      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

I would say yes as most of my Harry's are registered as Henry, even Prince Harry is really Prince Henry .

Comment

or what about a Harold ??

Comment

Harry is another form for Henry.
            my gt grandfather was Henry but was known as Harry

Comment

I have a Harry who wasn't a Henry! - just plain Harry!
              Kind regards,
              William
              Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

I have a Henry but clearly wanted to be know as Harry as I have a marriage certificate for his son (My Grandad) and it clearly shows Henry being crossed out and Harry put underneath.

Comment

yep Henry = Harry = Hal as well, and as was also mentioned Harold..
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Graham

Oooh, certificates shouldn't have crossings-out (unless they are numbered and initialled by the Registrar and entered into a book).

OC

Comment

You may have already thought of this, but if you go on Lancs BMD the mother's maiden name is often on the index before it appears on FreeBMD - it can often help to pinpoint the right birth
                      Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        Graham

Oooh, certificates shouldn't have crossings-out (unless they are numbered and initialled by the Registrar and entered into a book).

OC
                        I've just checked my print of the certificate. No numbers, initials or anything. This is a print of the online copy as well, not a family held copy.

Comment

Graham

Is this an English cert? If so, where did you get an online copy? I was under the impression that English certificates cannot be shown online as this contravenes the GRO copyright laws.

OC

Comment

I was married in a local registery office and when my then boyfriend went to book the wedding/provide details he gave an incorrect spelling of my middle name. When the registrar called us in before the actual ceremony to double check the details, I told her the correct spelling.

I don't know what she put in the actual register, but the certificate she gave me on the day has the incorrect version of my middle name crossed out and the correct one written above it.
                            Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I probably have the correct birth record then.
                              Lynne

Comment

Graham

Is this an English cert? If so, where did you get an online copy? I was under the impression that English certificates cannot be shown online as this contravenes the GRO copyright laws.

OC
                                If it was a London marriage you can see the PR certificates on Ancestry. I've "saved" our One Name Study £1,000s downloading them (Yes, sad person that I am I have collected over 1,000!)

Anne
                                Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 25-09-11, 11:51.

Comment

Sorry Jackie, only just noticed your post. I have found the birth record on Lancs BMD and it is definitely Henry Potts, mmn Fletcher.
                                  Lynne

Comment

Graham

OC
                                    It is an English certificate. The details are;

Date: 25th December 1914
                                    Marriage of: Henry Alfred Bridge to Alice Taylor
                                    Groom's Father: Henry (Harry) Bridge
                                    Bride's Father: James Charles Taylor.

Comment

Working...
                                    X