Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth of Elizabeth Harriet Cooper

Hi Folks,
    I hope you don’t mind if I ask for a little help.
    Long story – so will be as brief as I can.

I am looking for the birth of Elizabeth Harriet COOPER bc 1874

I have her marriage and death and they match this birth year.

Elizabeth H’s mother was Ann TRIMMER b 1844 in Farringdon, Hampshire.

Now this is where the story gets complicated.
    Ann Trimmer was married to John COOPER in 1865 and they had George and Annie – I have all these certs.
    She then appears in Scotland with a new “husband” (I don’t think they were married, as she reverts back to Cooper at a later date, as do the children). New hubby was Thomas Price. This couple then had 4 more children, all with the name Price on b cert but later reverted to Cooper .

Now back to Elizabeth H – she is the only birth that I can’t find a cert for. She could be either a Cooper or a Price as she was born in the middle, after Annie. However her marriage and death were both as Cooper. Not that that means anything as the ones who were definitely Price went by the name of Cooper.

Now I have sent for a few certs but all have been wrong.
    Below are NOT the correct Elizabeth H-
    Harriet Cooper b 1874, Binsted
    Elizabeth Harriett Cooper b 1872, Binsted (John Cooper was from Binsted)!
    Elizabeth Harriet Cooper b 1874, Stockton

Also – I have some poor relief records for Elizabeth and it says she was born in “HENLAY” England.

Help please – I would really like to get her birth and find out if she was a Cooper or a Price.

I will send on some censuses shortly.

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by herky; 22-09-11, 18:49.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Me again, adding a few census details-

1871 – RG10 Piece 1226 Folio 72 Page 13
    the family are in Stonehouse, Farringdon, Hampshire,
    John Cooper, Head, ag lab, 31 years, b Binsted
    Ann Cooper, wife, 26, b Farringdon
    George, son, 3 b Farringdon
    Annie, dau, 1, b Farringdon

1881-
    Family now called Price, Living in Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire
    Thomas Price, head, 37, coal miner, b glasgow
    Ann Price, 37, b England
    George, 13, b England
    Annie, 11, b England
    Elisabeth, 7, b England
    Mary, 3 b Clarkston, Lanarkshire
    Edward (AKA Edmund, dies as a child) 5 months, b Bonkle Lanarkshire

Family back to Cooper and no sign of Thomas Price
    Living in Lanarkshire
    George, head, coal miner, 23, b England
    Ann, mother, 46, b England
    James 8
    Nelly 6
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

When did she marry & who to?
      Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie,
        She married late in life in 1917 to William George Bennett, she was his 3rd wife.
        The marriage was in Scotland.

Edit to add - she stayed in Scotland and died there.
        Last edited by herky; 22-09-11, 19:12.
        herky

Comment

to add - her marriage and death certs list John Cooper as the father.
          However that means nothing - her sister, my direct line, was known as maiden name Cooper by all her relatives for all her life.
          She was in fact a Price by her birth cert.
          This Price family just seem to disappear, never to be mentioned again.

I only managed to find my direct lines birth cert when SP allowed a search by first name alone! After searching for years I found her in a couple of minutes.
          herky

Comment

Do you know what John COOPER's parents were called?
            There's a COOPER family here, in Hartley Mauditt, in 1861: RG11 piece 1247 folio 68 page 1
            There's an Elizabeth b 1871-72 who's granddaughter of William (shepherd) and Harriett COOPER.

Someone aged 7 in 1881 has a DoB 1873-74... assuming that it's accurate. I have more than one person in my trees who maintained an age-fiction for most of their lives. (Not helpful for a tree researcher, of course!)

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes - I did see that one - I don't have proof but I think that John's father was also John, mother Sarah.
              I have a 1851 census with John b Binsted - it is mistranscribed and has John as 2 instead of 12, plus other errors.
              1851 -- Piece 1679 Folio 352 Page 2

After Ann Trimmer leaves the marital home and goes to Scotland, her husband John Cooper ends up in Lancashire where his sister is married and living (Anna Knight ms Cooper).
              She had lots of children with quite a few being b in Hindley and at one time I did wonder if Hindley could be mistaken for Henley!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your reply Christine - I think I need all the help I can get with this one.
              herky

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                Do you know what John COOPER's parents were called?
                There's a COOPER family here, in Hartley Mauditt, in 1861: RG11 piece 1247 folio 68 page 1
                There's an Elizabeth b 1871-72 who's granddaughter of William (shepherd) and Harriett COOPER.

Someone aged 7 in 1881 has a DoB 1873-74... assuming that it's accurate. I have more than one person in my trees who maintained an age-fiction for most of their lives. (Not helpful for a tree researcher, of course!)

Christine

Sorry, should have said, re the 181 census - I have Elizabeth Harriet with the family in Scotland in 1881.
                Thanks for all help - off to bed - night night.
                herky

Comment

Name: Elizabeth Cooper
                  Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1873
                  Registration district: Winchester
                  Inferred County: Hampshire
                  Volume: 2c
                  Page: 102

have you discounted this one? maybe if you contacted the local office they would have a look and you say you only want it if the mothers name is XXXXXX??
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi,
                    Well that is a possible!

Thanks very much - see how good it is to have a new set of eyes.

It is late in 1873 so a very good choice.

I will send for the cert and let you know how I get on. I have never used local reg. offices in England. Is it best to phone, email, write? What do you suggest?
                    It is quite possible that she was reg as Elizabeth without the Harriet. Her marriage and death have her as Elizabeth Harriet.

Thanks so much and fingers crossed
                    herky

Comment

I'd say a phone call, they can then advise you whether you can pay by CC/Cheque or if you have to do it by snail mail. If you go through the GRO they dont do checks anymore, so that's be pointless, but if you phone the local office, explain what diffculities you have had locating it and if they could possibly confirm if the mothers name was XXXXX then you can get it if its right!.

and yes it is possible that she added Harriet at a later date. give me a mo and i'll get the details for you.
                      Julie

Comment

Thanks.
                        herky

Comment

from our Reference Library:

you need to scroll to the bottom and you will see the details for the winchester office... fingers x'd :smilee:
                          Julie

Comment

Thanks again -off to check it out.
                            herky

Comment

Right - that's an email sent, fingers crossed for a good result.
                              What a team we have here on FTF!
                              herky

Comment

Herky I have a Harriett who was actually christened Henrietta
                                also maybe yours is one of those registered as 'female child' and only named later at baptism.
                                Angelina

Comment

Thanks Angelina - worth considering and I will look for that name in the area.
                                  Elizabeth Harriet's grannie was a Harriett - Harriett Ferrett.

I hadn't thought of looking for "female child" - I will look into that too.

Many thanks
                                  herky

Comment

ok brilliant!! let us know Herky please...
                                    Julie

Comment

Will do - this is exciting - I have been trying to find her for ages.
                                      herky

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                        from our Reference Library:

you need to scroll to the bottom and you will see the details for the winchester office... fingers x'd :smilee:
                                        Just to let you know that I have had a reply from the email link sent by Darksecret.

They have said-

"Thank you for your enquiry but we can only produce certificates for requests made via the internet. If you add all the information we will only issue a certificate once this has been checked.

You can apply for a certificate via Hantsdirect on 0845 608 5637 or on the internet at Hantsweb.gov.uk/registration."
                                        So I will do that tomorrow, if I get home from work on time, and hopefully make progress. I should have phoned as you suggested but email is so much easier usually.
                                        I will let you know if I find Elizabeth Harriet! Thanks.
                                        herky

Comment

Working...
                                        X