Two husbands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two husbands?

That got your attention but might it be true?

Looking at the 1881 census for George and Mary Spring, 11 Railway Grove, St Paul, Deptford, I see that the children appear to have two surnames!

My first thought was that Mary's first husband had died but the birth dates of the children don't make sense.

Spring children born 1863, 1867, 1871,
    Mill children born 1861, 1863, 1867.

1863 and 1867 appear to have been very busy years!

My first thought is that I may have had very liberal Great, Great, Great Grandparents!

It makes more sense if both Mary and George were widows when they married and children come from their first marriages.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

That's what I was thinking.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I can't see a problem. By the looks of it the enumerator has not shown them as step-children.
        George Spring head
        George Spring son 18
        Jim Spring son 14
        Mary Spring dau 10

Mary Spring (if formerly Mills)
        James Mills son 20
        Albert Mills son 18
        Anne Mills dau 14

A tree on Ancestry has linked the 1871 census Class: RG10; Piece: 443; Folio: 57; Page: 41 which shows George Spring as being married to a Sarah Spring with children George, James, and Mary.

Have a look around for Mary's first marriage.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

In 1871 George was in Shoreditch with wife Sarah and children George, James and Sarah. RG10 piece 443 folio 57 page 41

Sorry I was busy searching them out and didn't notice Phil had posted while I was doing so.
          Last edited by JudithM; 22-09-11, 17:28.

Comment

for those wanting to have a look 1881: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1881&indiv=1
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

looks like sarah died in 1872

Name: Sarah Spring
              Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
              Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1872
              Age at Death: 32
              Registration district: Watford
              Inferred County: Hertfordshire
              Volume: 3a
              Page: 241
              Julie

Comment

Ignore me, I posted a 1871 for Mary here then realised the ages were way out. :(

Comment

Name: George Spring
                  Spouse Name: Mary Mills
                  Marriage Date: 02 Aug 1880
                  Parish: St James the Great, Bethnal Green
                  County: Middlesex
                  Borough: Tower Hamlets
                  Father Name: George Spring
                  Spouse Father Name: James Stemp

Julie

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                    It looks like Mary may not be the mother of Mary spring, daughter. I'll do some more digging today.

Comment

Although your initial thoughts were incorrect there is something a bit 'iffy' here.

Looking at the 1880 marriage George says he's a bachelor whereas Mary is a widow.

The 1871 shows he has a sister-in-law Elizabeth ABBLET living with him so looking on FreeBMD I found a marriage between George SPRING & Sarah ABBLET in Jun Qtr 1861 Huntingdon Dist.

The 1872 death of Sarah fits with the next piece of info. although I don't know what she was doing in Watford unless it was a sanitorium or some such.

On July 12th 1873, Bethnal Green, George a widower marries Elizabeth ABBLET his wife's sister which was illegal at that time.
                      Don't know what happened to Elizabeth after that.

If Mary SPRING is your interest then she was born 14/2/1870 & bapt. 6/1/1871 to George & Sarah so her mother was Sarah ABBLET
                      Glen

Comment

I've found some more info the library from and will try to sort it out tonight. It seems my George got about a bit!

Large sheet of paper and (Equally) large glass of wine called for I think.

Comment

Couldn't wait until tonight as it was bugging me. So, it appears that the following happened;

George Spring was born in 1841.
                          In 1861 he marries Sarah Abblet and they have George, Jim and Mary.
                          In 1872 Sarah dies in Watford.
                          In 1873 he marries Elizabeth Abblet. This looks dodgy. Perhaps this is why Sarah was in Watford. They have no children. No idea where she went.
                          In 1880 he Mary Mills. She has James, Albert and Anne from a previous marriage (Birth name Stemp).

Phew!
                          Now to correct the tree.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                          X