Another "New Laptop" thread lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "New Laptop" thread lol

decided its time for an upgrade & my OH had kindly agreed I can spend up to £500.

I'm looking at Lenovo but getting confused by all the different models. I'm looking for something like a G570, but can anyone enlighted me as to the MAIN difference between the Z range & the G range?

I'm getting totally overwhelmed by all the different specs... why can't they do something simple like one model number for one particular chip type... I've seen this model with i3, i4 or i5 chips.

Can someone techie tell me if the i5 chips are better than the i4 and i3? I guess its the latest thing, but are they reliable?

TIA
    Vicky

We had delivered yesterday a Lenovo G575. Don't know about the chips or the other things, sorry.
    Joy

Comment

Intel's current processor range is i3, i5 & i7... for a general rule of thumb i3 is low end and i7 high.... whether one is better than the other is difficult to define as an i3 powered one may be just a suitable for your needs as an i7 but half the price...
      https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

have decided to go for an i5, in the hope that the extra power/speed might last for more than 2 yrs lol
        It seems to be that as chips get more powerful & memory cheaper that apps are no longer written economically, they are expanding to fit the hardware available to them, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

And the main difference between the Z & G ranges - the Z has some touch sensitive buttons for some functions, which I don't think I'd particularly use, so i went for the cheaper G option.
        Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 23-09-11, 09:28. Reason: sp
        Vicky

Comment

Just for reference have heard the HP group are stopping making computers.

Comment

i7 processors are for high end use
            With HD video, high speed gaming etc. to purchase one as 'future proof' if you are not in these categories of user, you are just wasting your money
            For general use i3 is fine, but if you want to use video chat or create and edit video files, i5 would give a smoother output.

For my everyday home use I have a lenovo G range laptop with i3 processor and not had any problem and it cost less than £300!
            At work, because of video editing need, I use an i5,

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hi Vicky

Lucky beastie me has just had a birthday prezzie of a Lenovo i5 laptop and compared to my old desktop - it's brilliant. I'm still working my way around it and it'll take a while - I still reach out with my right hand for the mouse, but it's sooo much quicker than the old pooter, which was four years old and had the speed of a striking snail.............

Gwyn
              Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

Working...
              X