James Mowat - Winnipeg Canada - Can anyone help with any information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Mowat - Winnipeg Canada - Can anyone help with any information

My name is Karen Prentis, I currently live in Perth, Western Australia, but originally from Kent UK. I am trying to get some information on my Great Grandfather James Mowat. The information that I do have is very vague I'm afraid. James was originally from the Glasgow area of Scotland, he is my Grandmother's (Wilhelmina - born 1906 in Girvan) father. She is listed as being illegitimate on her birth certificate, but he had acknowledged her as his true daughter. James emigrated to Canada I think prior to the first world war. He resided in Winnipeg Canada. I have a letter (written by him to my Grandmother) dated June 1934, he is living at 365 Beverley Street, Winnipeg at this stage with his wife and three daughters (all of which were aware of my Gran). His daughters are Margaret (born 1919), Nellie (born 1927) and Marjorie (born 1932), I am unaware of his wife's name.
    James did visit my Gran in Kent during the second world war (my dad was about 3 at the time so maybe 1940/41), he was in uniform, Canadian Scottish forces I think......but unsure, he must have been in his forties, so a bit confused....... I have nothing else on him. Can anyone help please .......... I would love to know anything about James and of course if there are any living relatives still in Canada. Thank you to anyone that can help xx

There are records of soldiers of the CEF (Canadian Expeditionary Force) named James Mowat on here.

Don't know if any are your James though.

UPDATE:
    Having read Phil's post regarding the obituary, it seems James didn't emigrate until the 1930s, so probably none of the above soldiers are your James.
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 22-09-11, 07:08.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I started looking around and found this posting you made on genealogy forum in 2005. Did this turn out to be a red herring?
      "I have traced a gravesite, in Winnipeg, Bookside Cemetery, for a James Mowat who died 1961, aged 81."
      Search all forums, acticles or FamilyTreeMaker trees on Genealogy.com
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Have you seen this recent obituary for Margaret?
        "She was predeceased by her parents, Ann and James Mowat, and her sister Helen (Nellie) Collins. Margaret was born December 5, 1919 in Aberdeen, Scotland and came to Winnipeg with her parents in 1930."

It may be worth trying the archives of the Winnipeg Free Press Paper (subscription site). You may find an obit. there.
        Search, read, and save articles from the Winnipeg Free Press on NewspaperArchive.com. Find your family's story, and the stories of others, in thousands of pages of old newspapers.
        Last edited by keldon; 22-09-11, 06:44.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thank you all of you for your very quick and wonderful help. When I opened the obituary for Margaret I nearly got the shock of my life......she looks just like my Gran did.......I know they were half sisters but wow...... I have rung my Dad and told him, just waiting for his response. It has to be the same family, thank you , thank you xx Karen

Comment

Working...
          X