1851 census help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1851 census help, please

I have a Samuel Freer, b. abt 1835 in Wilbarston, Northants (d. 1905 also in Northants).

In 1841, age 6, he's with his parents John and Elizabeth Freer, and lots of his siblings in Wilbarston, and by 1861 he's an agricultural labourer, married to Matilda Green with children of his own living in Stoke Albany (the next village to Wilbarston). I have him in 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901, so would really like 1851 to make a complete set.

So, he's probably not very far away in 1851, but I just don't seem to be able to find him. Can any one of you eagle eyed peeps see him for me, please?

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Is this him as Same Frees bc 1835?
    piece 2079, folio 256, page 24
    Last edited by herky; 21-09-11, 11:54.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Is this the family
      FREER, John Head Married M 50 1801 Ag Lab Medbourne Northamptonshire
      FREER, Elizabeth Wife Married F 48 1803 Stoke Northamptonshire
      FREER, Samuel Son M 16 1835 Ag Lab Wilbarston Northamptonshire
      FREER, Frances Daughter F 8 1843 Frame Lace Runner Wilbarston Northamptonshire
      FREER, John Son M 5 1846 Scholar Wilbarston Northamptonshire
      RG number: HO107 Piece: 2079 Folio: 256 Page 24

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
        Is this him as Sam Frees bc 1835?
        piece 2079, folio 256, page 24
        Yes, it's mistranscribed on ancestry as Frees - checked it against the reference I found on FMP

Comment

Thanks, but I'm a bit thrown now. In 1841 I have him in Wilbarston with

John, 35
          Elizabeth, 35
          Elizabeth, 11
          Martha, 8
          Samuel, 6
          John, 4
          Jane, 1

All born "in county".

So, are there two John and Elizabeth Freers with a son called Samuel, b.abt 1835 then?

Arghhhhhhhh!

STG

Comment

Hmmm...... I'm confused too.
            Back to the drawing board!
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Only one Samuel showing on IGI.
              herky

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                Thanks, but I'm a bit thrown now. In 1841 I have him in Wilbarston with

John, 35
                Elizabeth, 35
                Elizabeth, 11
                Martha, 8
                Samuel, 6
                John, 4
                Jane, 1

All born "in county".

So, are there two John and Elizabeth Freers with a son called Samuel, b.abt 1835 then?

Arghhhhhhhh!

STG
                Why are you confused I think it is the same family. Remember the ages in 1841 will have been rounded to the nearest 5 or 0 so will look different in 1851 when it is as people said.

The only extra is the child Frances who would have been born after the census in 1841

Comment

Yes - 1841 does have the ages rounded and it does appear to be the same family - 1841 John and Eliz both 35. 1851 John and Eliz 50 and 48.
                  John has gained 15 years in 10 years so I suppose not that much. The older children would have left home and the younger ones are too young to have been on the 1841.
                  My confusion is sorted and I agree that it does appear to be the same family.
                  (I have a relative who LOST 12 years instead of gaining 10.)
                  herky

Comment

I think I panicked. I've got Freers coming out of my ears. There are soooooooooo many of them and I've never seen a Frances before.

There's a death registered in Market Harborough (the reg. district for Wilbarston at the time) for a John Freer in 1842, which I think is the one who's 4yo on the 1841 census.

Then there's a birth in Market Harborough of a John Freer in 1845, which I think is the 5yo on the 1851 census.

So, panic over. Back to the Tree and hoping that I'll be able to get further back than John (the father).

Thanks for the help.

STG

Comment

Working...
                    X