This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Stop Routine PC Maintenance

Anyone remember Judy in the States from GR?
    Back in 2004 she posted a very helpful thread under the above title. I know it's a long time ago but I'm still using XP Pro & as it has been very, very slow I thought I would have a go at following Judys instructions. First stop, 'emptying cookies'. After searching Judy says a list will appear with yellow folders labelled 'cookies'.
    I got one entry in the results field that said 'ConnectionPointCookie.class' so I thought, well it does say cookie so I'll DC on it. The reponse is Windows could not open becuase the prog that created it is not know, search internet? Answer is that the file is part of a Java prog & does not contain any data that can be opened.
    So how do I clear cookies?

Then I thought I would try the next part of her maintenance, 'Emptying Temporary Internet Files' & the answer to that is there are none.

So how do I speed up my PC?

The other thing that has me confused is I keep getting the message that computer virtual memory is too low & Wndows is working to increase it.
    Is that anything to worry about or that I can do anything about?
    Vivienne passed away July 2013

Viv,

which browser are you using? IE? or firefox?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

if you are using IE look to the right top and you should see a little 'cog' it should be directly under the red x, click on that, and it will bring up a box, click on 'internet options' then click on 'browsing history', then click on delete, it will bring up another box with ticks in, this will allow you to clear stuff and at the same time save passwords, (if you have problems remembering them!, like me!).

I would also suggest that you do a 'defrag' on your system, it has been that long since I have used this i'll have to have a root around and see if I can remember how!
      Julie

Comment

right, after having a google lol! I have found this, you will need to scroll down Viv and read the bits (and click on them to see the info, for XP users)

sections 2 & 3 should apply to you Viv. (and dont forget to click on XP users) :smilee:
        Last edited by Darksecretz; 21-09-11, 10:52.
        Julie

Comment

Hi Julie, I'm using IE8 but I don't have your 'cog', under my red X is a little magnifying glass thingy. When I click on that there is nothing about internet options. I'm always worried about deleting stuff incase I forget passwords or user names so I tend to use the same one, shock horror!

Disc clean & defrag are the things I can do but don't seem to make any difference.

Thanks I'll follow your link & see what I can do.
          Last edited by Vivienne; 21-09-11, 10:59.

Comment

hmmn, have you emptied your recycle bin?
            Julie

Comment

Hmm, seems I shouldn't have to do all Judies maintenance stuff then, just clean up & defrag more often. I last did it on Aug 11th.
              Thank you Julie.

Recycle bin, it's been a while but I don't think I've recycled that much.
              I don't play games or download music, rarely watch UTube & last time I was worried I had picked up a virus my man said it was the cleanest machine he had seen in a long time!!! lol

Didn't think so, 13 items in the bin now deleted!
              Last edited by Vivienne; 21-09-11, 11:15.

Comment

ahh right have a click on this link,

Support for Internet Explorer 11 has ended on June 15, 2022. Make the switch to Microsoft Edge to experience the web in a whole new way.
                Julie

Comment

That looks scary, don't think I want to risk it, might lose stuff I don't want to.
                  I'll just do another cleanup & defrag.

Comment

hope it helps Viv :smilee:
                    Julie

Comment

Cleanup & defrag done, fingers crossed now that things move a little faster.

Thanks for the help Julie, I now have 7 pages of one sided scrap paper to use. No good hanging onto Judies instructions any longer! ;D

Comment

fingers x'd Viv :smilee:
                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                        X