Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England family photo

Hello.

I received last evening a photograph of possible ancestors which include my grandfather, my great-grandparents and my great-uncles and great-aunts. I was wondering if anyone can possibly date this please. I have tried to look for clues in the photo including the ruffs, the Sunday best attire and the type of shoes worn by the children but I am at a loss.

Many thanks in advance.

Robert
    http://www.mancunianreds.com/
    Names looking for:
    ENGLAND (Cornwall especially Padstow or St Columb Mjr and Stoke Damerel, Devonport, Devon) TRESIDDER (Cornwall) PRYNN (Cornwall) WORDEN (Cornwall)
    "Nothing great is easy" Captain Matthew Webb

I would say between 1905 and 1915.

The youngest child could actually be a boy, not a girl - it was customary for boys to wear frocks until they were about 3 or 4 and were "breeched". they usually had their hair cut short at that point too.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      I would say between 1905 and 1915.

The youngest child could actually be a boy, not a girl - it was customary for boys to wear frocks until they were about 3 or 4 and were "breeched". they usually had their hair cut short at that point too.

OC
      Were there any clues as to why you would say 1905 and 1915 i.e hairstyles, the ruffs, the sunday dress perhaps?

Robert
      Names looking for:
      ENGLAND (Cornwall especially Padstow or St Columb Mjr and Stoke Damerel, Devonport, Devon) TRESIDDER (Cornwall) PRYNN (Cornwall) WORDEN (Cornwall)

Comment

For females the simply cut skirt and the white blouse came in about 1904 but of course people kept their clothes for years back then so what was fashionable in 1904 could still be being worn 15 or so years later.

OC

Comment

For females the simply cut skirt and the white blouse came in about 1904 but of course people kept their clothes for years back then so what was fashionable in 1904 could still be being worn 15 or so years later.

OC
          I am also trying to identify the age of Robert England too. The photo is 2360 pixels X 1736 pixels so, you can imagine the quality of the photograph itself i.e enlargement on the screen and the quality is stunning. Thus, I am able to have a look at my great-grandfathers hands. To be honest, his hands look rather old and yet he is between the ages 45-55. His hands, with respect belong to someone a great deal older. Mind you, he was a Trinity Pilot, whether that has any bearing on this matter, I don't know.
          Names looking for:

Comment

Having read your other post more carefully, the photo must be between 1906 and 1917 but I would put it before 1910, so between 1906 and 1910. The baby in frocks might be a grandchild?

OC

Comment

Mancunianred, have a look at the photos on the costume gallery on this site.

There are photos of people wearing similar clothes to those on your photo. I agree with OC on the timeframe of your photo.
              My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Of course, young women have always craved fashion and even if they could not afford uptothe minute clothes, their hairstyles would be whatever was fashionable and they all have "Gibson girl" hairstyles which again puts them firmly in the early Edwardian years - about 1906 ish I would think. I don't think you are going to get it much closer than that. Certainly prewar.

OC

Comment

Hi all!!

I sent an e-mail to the archivist at the Padstow RNLI station in Cornwall. I mentioned in another thread that my great-grandfather and my great-uncle were either coxwains or Trinity Pilots around the 1880s-1890s. The e-mail I received was from a family member who still is with the RNLI and he stated (after I sent them the photo)that:

"
                  Hi Robert

What a great picture! Nathaniel is the clean shaven one directly behind his brother. This was before he also grew facial hair!
                  It would be good to see any further pictures that you might have."

Robert

Names looking for:

Comment

I received the following photograph from my cousin who is with the RNLI in Padstow. I have asked him if he is sure that his great-grandfather is the last one in the front, standing and has a beard. A few days ago, he was sure, but then after receiving the other photo (see post 1) and after explaining that his father may be the one with a moustache. The attached photo was taken in 1899 and was my great-grandfathers last year in the RNLI, and the photo in the 1st post was taken circa 1907/09 and it looks as though he is faithful to a moustache rather than growing a beard, as I have seen some photos from the 1930s and he still has a moustache.

Here is the photograph:

Here is another where I took a copy of one photo and put it next to another of Nathaniel:

Robert
                    Last edited by mancunianred; 22-09-11, 19:29.
                    Names looking for:

Comment

The two men in the comparison photo, #10, are undoubtedly the same man. Whether he is Nathaniel is another question entirely!

OC

Comment

The two men in the comparison photo, #10, are undoubtedly the same man. Whether he is Nathaniel is another question entirely!

OC
                        Thomas was a fisherman aged 21 in the 1901 census. I am pretty certain that fishermen wore similar cork lifejackets as their lives-saving counterparts. In the lifeboat photo, the man with the moustache has a youthful look, and it maybe confirmed as Roberts son, Thomas. Nathaniel, according to my cousin is the first man on the right, standing. I am pretty certain that Robert is in the photo as one of the more experienced of lifeboatmen. It was his last year in the service. It is, as you said in another thread, all confusing.

Robert
                        Names looking for:

Comment

Here is a photo of Nathaniel (Robert Englands brother) and Bessie England (née Hawken.) I would have to hazard a guess and say that it was taken around the early 1930s, 1934/05 I think.

Robert
                          Names looking for:

Comment

Lovely photos, thank you for sharing them with us.
                            Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Joy Dean View Post
                              Lovely photos, thank you for sharing them with us.
                              You are welcome Joy. It was great to finally received some positive information about the first photograph from a family member I didn't even though. She had all the names down for each one. For the last photo, it was from a 3rd cousin, and that is Nathaniel with Bessie England (née Hawken) For the 2nd photo, I have no idea who is who apart from that my family are somewhere in the front row. It was my grandfathers last year, plus there was an opening of a 2nd location I think in 1899 so, that could coincide with the group photo.

Have a nice evening Joy.

Robert
                              Names looking for:

Comment

Names looking for:

Comment

Working...
                                X