Isabella Consitt or Lee or Elliott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isabella Consitt or Lee or Elliott

I wonder if someone could help to sort out a bit of a mess I think I have made in my tree.
    My husband's G Grandfather was Consitt Elliott born Sunderland 1856 - 1941. His parents were Philip Elliott born 1832 Cothetston Yorkshire and Isabella ? born 1828 in Sunderland.
    Isabella is the problem. She married Philip in 1853 using the surname Lee, she has two children with the surname Lee in the 1861 census Lydia Hannah Lee 1849 born Sunderland and Isabella Consitt Lee born 1852 in Sunderland, they are both listed as stepchildren.
    I haven't been able to find Isabella on the 1851 with her children.
    I am trying to find out what her maiden name was. I thought that it may have been Gordon as there is an Isabella Gordon marrying a Thomas Lee.
    BUT there is a tree on Ancestry that has her surname as Consitt, this makes sense but I can't seem to find an Isabella Consitt. Also some of the info on this tree in incorrect so I don't know what is true and what has been made to fit.
    Can somebody help in sorting the wood from the trees.
    I have to get the children from school, so i'll be back soon.
    Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

I haven't worked out the answer yet but I can't help thinking that this family in 1851 has something to do with it

HO107, piece 2398, folio 197, page 42

Richard Consett 68 retired mariner b Whitby
    Lydia Consett 61 wife b Sunderland
    Isabella Routledge 84 wife's mother b Sunderland
    George Henry Lee 5 grandson
    Lydia Hannah Lee 3 granddaughter

No sign of the children's mother on that one
    Jackie

Comment

There are baptisms on the IGI for Lydia Hannah Lee in Monkwearmouth 1848 and George Henry 1846 parents George Henry and Isabella Lee. I haven't been able to find the parents in 1851.

Isabella is here in 1841 with her mother and grandmother

HO107, piece 299, folio 19, page 26

Jackie

Comment

Marriages Q/E March 1845 Sunderland

George Henry Lee

One of the other names on the list is transcribed on FreeBMD as Isabella COUSITT
        Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie,
          That seems to be the right family, So now I feel stupid, with all the Gordon research I've done.
          Mind you at least I can get a new family link.
          Thanks for your help.
          Julie

Comment

You're welcome. You can probably go further back with the Routledge connection. There also seems to be a fair bit about them on the IGI.
            Jackie

Comment

Hi Julie,

I think this is probably Isabella's marriage with surname mistranscribed.

Isabella COUSETT, Jan-Mar 1845, Sunderland. There's a choice of five grooms on the indexed page but one is - George Henry Lee,

Comment

The marriage is also on family search, another mistranscription.

Isabella Corsitt father Richard, to George Henry Lee father William, 7th Jan 1845, at Monk-Wearmouth Durham.

Isabella's baptism is also on family search in 1824

Comment

Thanks Susan,
                  I think that you've got the right family. I was looking and looking but couldn't see that one. I've had to delete a chunk of tree that serves me right for not checking properly.
                  Thanks again.
                  Julie

Comment

My pleasure, Jules.

Sorry you were following the wrong line, but if it's any consolation we've most of us done it at some point.

Good luck with your research.

Comment

Working...
                    X