1830/31 marriage Pl. check on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1830/31 marriage Pl. check on Ancestry

I have in my tree a marriage between John Paley and Mary Shutt which I have been reliably informed took place in Ripon, Yorkshire in 1831. Looking at Ancestry today (I no longer have subs.) I noticed a marriage between a couple of the same name marrying at about the same date but in Middlesex. Is anyone able to look at the entry to see what details it gives please?
    Cath.

just having a look now Cath, hang on.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

oh I say, its on Pallots too!
      Julie

Comment

John Paley batch, & Mary Shutt Spin, both married in 23rd June 1830 at Trinity Church, St Marylebone, county of mdx witness' : Henry Charles BELL and Caroline Jane BELL
        Julie

Comment

Was John a soldier by any chance Cath?
          Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,
            No he was a shoemaker. I'm afraid the name Bell means nothing to me. It looks like it's just a coincidence that another couple with the same" Yorkshire" surnames should marry at about the same time.

Many thanks.

PS just had a quick look on Freebmd there are a couple of births for Paley in the Middlesex area 1838/42 but most are Yorks/Lancs including my rellie. Looks like it was just a coincidence.
            Last edited by Cath RJ; 18-09-11, 15:01.
            Cath.

Comment

no problems, I cant even spot them on the 41 census, not unless that the name has been mangled..
              Julie

Comment

The John Paley / Mary Shutt marriage in 1831 Ripon, Yorkshire is a submitted entry on the IGI
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  The John Paley / Mary Shutt marriage in 1831 Ripon, Yorkshire is a submitted entry on the IGI
                  ooo so the Mdx marriage could be them then? esp as submitted entries arent 'proof positive' ?
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                    . I'm afraid the name Bell means nothing to me.
                    Not sure the witnesses are significant. On the image on Ancestry, which contains six marriage entries, Henry Charles Bell is witness to two other marriages, and Caroline Jane Bell to one other marriage.
                    One of these marriages was two days prior to the Paley/Shutt marriage Julie was looking at - and if you flick forward through the pages Henry's name pops up again from time to time.
                    Elaine

Comment

Not sure the witnesses are significant. On the image on Ancestry, which contains six marriage entries, Henry Charles Bell is witness to two other marriages, and Caroline Jane Bell to one other marriage.
                      One of these marriages was two days prior to the Paley/Shutt marriage Julie was looking at - and if you flick forward through the pages Henry's name pops up again from time to time.
                      that sounds to me like they are serial witness's then, must've liked a good marriage, or had connections to that particular church, and if they (John/Mary) did marry out of their home county then morelikely that the witness's arent family members
                      Julie

Comment

Doing a google for Henry Charles Bell he appears to be a clerk of Trinity district, St. Marylebone.

Cath, I wouldn't give up on this marriage but I am not sure how you are going to prove it is your couple!
                        Elaine

Comment

Doing a google for Henry Charles Bell he appears to be a clerk of Trinity district, St. Marylebone.

Cath, I wouldn't give up on this marriage but I am not sure how you are going to prove it is your couple!
                          if they had children in London then a B/certs/bapts would show the fathers occ, or even if they can be found on the 1841 cens?
                          Julie

Comment

hmmn 1851: this might be them in leeds

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2321; Folio: 295; Page: 31; GSU roll: 87549-87552.
                            Julie

Comment

hmmn, is looking like the first child is Emma and she is bapt in Harrogate.. poop.
                              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                if they had children in London then a B/certs/bapts would show the fathers occ, or even if they can be found on the 1841 cens?
                                There are some Paley baptisms on the LMA records on Ancestry but nothing with parents John and Mary.

? 1841 census - Knaresborough/Harrogate
                                Elaine

Comment

just a thought, would there be settlement records? or what about the banns for the marylebone marriage? they should say where they were from?
                                  Julie

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think between you you have convinced me that the Middlesex couple aren't my family. I've just re read notes sent to me a few years ago by a self styled "Paley expert" in Australia which says John and Mary were married in Ripon in June 1831.(She appears to have got most of her info from parish records pre computer days!) It was just when I saw the other marriage on the Ancestry index that I began to doubt myself. My "lot" are deff. the Knaresborouggh/Harrogate family.
                                    Thanks again.
                                    Cath.

Comment

noo Cath, the fact is they could be your family the Ripon marriage is only a submitted entry on the LDS, which must be treated with caution, I would begin by looking for this Ripon marriage, if you use familysearch (new site) they have the marriage for John/Mary in london. If anyone can get access to the Banns book for this london marriage it should say where they came from.
                                      Julie

Comment

I agree with Julie! I wouldn't give up on this one.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X