New Laptop - any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Laptop - any recommendations?

I have decided to treat myself to a new lappy mostly due to the power problems on this one! I love my Compaq and I was wondering about getting another one or should I go for something different?
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

I have just seen this one though....

Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I don't know much about this kinda thing, but love my Sony Vaio
      Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

I would certainly be looking for something with a bigger screen, but I suppose it depends on how much you use it and whether it's to be used for travelling or not.
        Elaine

Comment

Hubby has a Sony Vaio and it seems to be very delicate especially when you collapse on it - lol! Well after reading about netbooks I was wondering about something a little bigger Elaine and then perhaps a netbook for casual travelling and checking family trees.

The world of possibilities!

Comment

Haha - I'm not in the habit of collapsing on mine, but I take your point!
            Just Mandy

"They certainly broke the mould when they made me!"

Comment

We have stopped buying Dell laptops because their support is so poor. Both my daughter's and my sons' laptop developed the same problem and they refused to fix them even under the warranty.

They have both bought Lenovo laptops now - after much research.

I have just ditched my Sony Vaio for a netbook

Comment

Acer do very good laptops. I have an Acer PC and think it is far superior to Dell.

Janet

Comment

all depends what you are looking for...

newer models are now being made available with 4gb up to 8gb ram.

my son is also looking for a new laptop...and is more interested in the ram capabilities and the processor speeds as well as graphic cards... He is looking at an HP.

I myself use a Samsung which I find more than appropriate for my needs....

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                  Raven's Family Tree

Comment

I recently bought a Samsung laptop with 4 GB ram - didn't bother about what the graphics are like as I'll never use it for games. So far I'm really pleased with it.

I got mine from PC World - for some reason I got a discount for ordering online, though I paid and picked it up in store.

Comment

they tend to do that, lindsay.... I got the same with my router and wireless adapters.... in the adapters case I got them half price reserving them online and collecting from the store

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                      Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                        Hubby has a Sony Vaio and it seems to be very delicate especially when you collapse on it - lol! Well after reading about netbooks I was wondering about something a little bigger Elaine and then perhaps a netbook for casual travelling and checking family trees.

The world of possibilities!
                        I do that - I've got an HP lappy for normal general use and an Acer netty for, as you say, casual travelling and checking family tree stuff. Works out well

Comment

I dont know if this place is any good?

Refurbished Laptops, Desktop PCs, Computer Workstations, AIOs & Servers from Dell, HP and Lenovo. UK's No.1 for Quality Dell Certified & HP Renew Computers. Stock at Cheapest Prices. Fast Delivery.

(They are also providing refurbished desk top computers for £165 or £95 if you are on benefits)

Comment

Thanks guys. Lots to think about - I hadn't thought of Samsung laptops before...

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                              I dont know if this place is any good?

Refurbished Laptops, Desktop PCs, Computer Workstations, AIOs & Servers from Dell, HP and Lenovo. UK's No.1 for Quality Dell Certified & HP Renew Computers. Stock at Cheapest Prices. Fast Delivery.

(They are also providing refurbished desk top computers for £165 or £95 if you are on benefits)
                              We use them in work - so I would trust them.
                              Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
                              Warwickshire name: Hart
                              German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Comment

I would decide on what type of lappy that you want, then check the on-line price too. Just picked an ad out of this mornings paper and the same Dell
                                as mentioned in post 2 is selling for 880 aust dollars (abt 570 UK pounds) on line. I have an old Toshiba (still with XP on it) that is still working perfectly
                                except that the battery needs replacement, although I generally use it on AC anyway.
                                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

We've just bought (today) an Acer netbook to replace an Acer laptop that died on us a few weeks back. We only really want it for the 'net and for storing photos & music on, as we have another Acer laptop that is really ours son's for anything more complicated.
                                  We've had to leave it with PC World for them to do the backup discs & install the security as it doesn't have a CD drive, and buying an external one would cost more than they were charging.

We've never had an trouble with the Acer machines (that'll put the kybosh on it!) until the old laptop's motherboard went. That machine was about 5 years old.
                                  Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Iwas thinking about a new laptop so asked our IT Support provider at work. The immediate response was buy HP. I asked why and the guy said it was the best. Checked them out on-line. He recommended huge memory - about £450.00 (I think). Still, the tower is now working so I won't be buying one for a bit. It was good to get some independant advice.
                                    Don't buy Dell - I loathe mine

Comment

Ive got a Toshiba laptop which I use when we go on holiday,it suits me.

Comment

got a brace of acers here - timeline series are good with battery life around 7-8 hours, and they do them down to a 13" screen with the same resolution as their 15.6" screen so you can fit the same amount of info on the but gain portability...

Personally I would avoid the traditional resellers such as pcw/comet etc.. and go for either tesco (clubcard pointage ) or John Lewis (more warranty and excellent customer service)
                                        https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X