Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie - Findmypast or order certificates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - Findmypast or order certificates?

Hello,
    I'm just getting going. As yet I've not subscribed to Findmypast (Or anyone else). The free search engines give me a good start but I'm puzzled by the fact that although Findmypast has a subscription service to view the certificates they still suggest you order the actual certificates.

What can I see from the actual certificate that I can't see or print online?

Hello Graham, welcome to FTF.

You cannot see English Welsh certificates online on any site - you have to order the certificate I'm afraid. Very misleading, isn't it.

OC

Comment

You cannot view English and Welsh certificates online - you have to order them.
      What you will find on subscription sites such as Findmypast and Ancestry is an index of BMDs (births marriages and deaths) which will give you the reference number that you need to order the certificate.

A bit of advice - order certificates from the General REgister Office at a cost of 9.25 pounds - don't get linked into other sites which cost more.

Have a look at freeBMD which will also give you BMD reference numbers, although the index on there is not complete (but the site is free as its name suggests!)
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the superfast replies.

As it looks like most of my family was in the Bermondsey/Southwark area it looks like my cheapest option is to build up the certificates I want to view and pay £18 and research the records myself for six hours. If I want copies I still need to order and pay for them.

Comment

If you are researching the Bermondsey/Southwark area then you might be better off using Ancestry rather than Findmypast.
          The Ancestry website has quite a few baptism, marriage and burial records from the LMA (London Metropolitan Archives) and you might find something of use - particularly with the marriages as you might be able to view a copy of the certificate online!
          I know that contradicts what we said originally - that you have to order them - but there are a few exceptions, these London certificates being one of the exceptions.

You can sign up for a free 14 day trial to see how you get on, and although you will have to give a credit card number, providing you cancel before the end of the 14 days there would be no charge.

www.ancestry.co.uk
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that. I found the Ancestry website a little difficult to navigate but if there's free information to be had.....................................

Comment

Ancestry now have some marriage cert's and banns on line, to print off i have been fortunate to be able to print some off,
              Ancestry are doing a 30 day free trial,but remember to cancel befor that 30 days are up, if there is any name or dated i will have a look for you, just incase you are a lucky one, like me

Petrene

Comment

You can also consider buying a copy of FamilyTreeMaker which normally has a free subscription to Ancestry built into the price - check the pack for details though. you don't actually need to use the FTM to get the free sub!

OC

Comment

Just to get back to basics, the coverage for the LMA records is predominantly 18th/19th centuries.
                  Can you get back to around 1900 with certificates in your possession?
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    You can also consider buying a copy of FamilyTreeMaker which normally has a free subscription to Ancestry built into the price - check the pack for details though. you don't actually need to use the FTM to get the free sub!

OC
                    From Amazon
                    Family Tree Maker 2011 which includes a free 6 month subscription to Ancestry premium package (free sub is worth 50+ pounds)
                    Elaine

Comment

Back in 1992 I was given a family tree which goes back to the 1800's. There is no backup info, just the tree but, by using free BMD and Findmypast most of it checks out. There are a couple of oddities though but I'm off to see my mum tomorrow who has bits and pieces stashed away.

I've just had another crack at Ancestry but BMD/Findmypast seems much easier and gave me the info I wanted so much quicker.

Petrene,
                      One marriage I'm trying to sort is between;
                      Percy Taylor (Middle name A?)
                      Lilian Kate Stone
                      Marriage in St Olave's area, Bermondsey in September 1930.
                      Last edited by Graham B; 17-09-11, 21:13. Reason: Typed wrong maiden name

Comment

Here it is
                        Lilian K Stone
                        Spouse Surname: Taylor (full name Percy A Taylor)
                        Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1930
                        Registration district: St Olave
                        Inferred County: Greater London
                        Volume Number: 1d Page Number: 394

Comment

Some libraries have free access to Ancestry so it might be worthwhile checking out what is available near you.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            Here it is
                            Lilian K Stone
                            Spouse Surname: Taylor (full name Percy A Taylor)
                            Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1930
                            Registration district: St Olave
                            Inferred County: Greater London
                            Volume Number: 1d Page Number: 394
                            Thankyou. I had found that on the free site. It looks like I'll need to at it to my "look at" list.

Comment

The information that Margaret has given to you is the reference details of the marriage registration.
                              The only way you will be able to see more information is to order the certificate for £9.25.

Once you get to pre 1900/1910 then you might find some Bermondsey/Southwark marriage certificates available via the LMA records on Ancestry.
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Graham B View Post
                                Thankyou. I had found that on the free site. It looks like I'll need to at it to my "look at" list.
                                There is nothing else to look at - you will need to order the certificate :(
                                Margaret

Comment

Graham, you have to get the premium service to view all the LMA (baptisms/marriages/burials) records on ancestry. A lot of mine are from Bermondsey and Southwark and it has saved me a mint in certificates. I would really suggest you take an ancestry sub. You can buy a family tree program on ancestry which includes 6 months premium sub for only £30 - absolute bargain. A few certs would cost that - as mentioned, these will be earlier ones, not the 1930s! There are also probate records and much much more to be seen.
                                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 18-09-11, 12:44.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments.

I've spent most of today with my mum who has kept loads of certificates that she has come across. It's all a bit fragmented so it's going to take me a while to sort through it and understand what questions I want to ask next.

What I don't understand with Ancestry is that given the same information, Ancestry gives me thousands of unrelated results while findmypast and free BMD give me what I'm looking for with just a few dozen others which also bear some relationship to my search request.

Time for wine I think.

Comment

Graham, I find Ancestry much easier to use once you have figured out the best way to use it.

First, make sure you are in the Old Search. Go to the top of the screen and click on the menu "Search". Then click "search all records". When that screen appears, go to the far right at the top of the screen and click "Old Search".

When in the old search, choose which records you wish to use. For the BMDs choose England & Wales Birth Marriage and Death Indexes 1837-2005

Then choose which part you need to search.

If searching the census collection, I always click on the whole collection rather than a particular year, unless I am onlt interested in one year. I also tick the exact match only box to start with. Remember less is more when searching. I rarely enter the place of birth but usually just the County of birth.

Give it another try and you might just get to like it.

By the way, the free version at the library does not allow the old search method. If you live near a Family History Centre, they have free access to Ancestry, FMP and The Genealogist. You could try them all out and see which you prefer before buying a sub. There would also be someone to help get you started and help you get the best from each site.

Comment

Please, how do I find "old search"?
                                        I tried a link from another forum search but it said the url was no longer active.

I'm following the website menu and ending up at http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/

Comment

Working...
                                        X