Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the FamilySearch site would have 2 entries for the same baptism, one under C of E, the other under non-conformists?

The entry is for Andrew Lymehouse in 1752 https://familysearch.org/search/reco...e%3Alymehouse~

I'm getting "Technical difficulties" - I'll have a look in a moment.

OC

Comment

Oh, how very interesting! These are baptisms performed at the Foundling hospital and as such, although the baptisms were C of E, they form a register of their own which is I suppose why they appear as RG4.

If you put "RG4-4396" into google, you will find some very interesting information about the baptisms - foundlings were baptised and given new names EVEN WHEN their real names were known. They were also baptised (again? surely not) between the ages of 3 and 5.

OC

Comment

Thanks, that is interesting! I'll have a look at it.

Then I just have to decide whether this is the same man who apparently beams down into Leicestershire 40 years later, marries, has 2 children then disappears into the ether again.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          If you put "RG4-4396" into google, you will find some very interesting information about the baptisms -
          OC
          Thanks for that OC - some interesting links there. Might have a sort through and add a couple to the reference library!
          Elaine

Comment

I think The Genealogist may have the records to view on their site - for a fee!

Comment

Photofamily

Do you mean images of the original record? I suppose you could use familysearch to identify the record you want before paying Genealogist!

The original register seems to be at TNA along with a lot of other useful records if your ancestor turns out to have been baptised there.

OC

Comment

I'm not sure whether this is my man or not yet.

I'm currently building up a list of things to look up at the LMA so I'll add this to it - perhaps the records will give me a clue!

Comment

Oh, how very interesting! These are baptisms performed at the Foundling hospital and as such, although the baptisms were C of E, they form a register of their own which is I suppose why they appear as RG4.

If you put "RG4-4396" into google, you will find some very interesting information about the baptisms - foundlings were baptised and given new names EVEN WHEN their real names were known. They were also baptised (again? surely not) between the ages of 3 and 5.
                  This renaming "feature" of the Foundling Hospital has been mentioned in a number of TV programmes. People now in their 60s are very bitter about being robbed of their ancestry.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes indeed, UJ, although I do understand the original concept behind this renaming thing - it was seen as a new start. And of course, all adopted people have had this "done to them" too, from equally good intentions.

OC

Comment

Do you mean images of the original record? I suppose you could use familysearch to identify the record you want before paying Genealogist!
                      OC
                      Yes, I've found records indexed on familysearch, then retrieved an image of the record from the Genealogist.

Comment

In this particular case looking at the image doesn't add anything at all, unless you want to know who baptised Andrew!

For a lot of the RG4 records though, you do get more information than is on familysearch, such as where the family lived, occupation, mothers maiden name, and even the name of the mother's father in a few cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke 123 View Post
                          In this particular case looking at the image doesn't add anything at all, unless you want to know who baptised Andrew!
                          Thanks - that saves me some time!

I might dig further into the Foundling hospital records next time I go to the LMA, though, in case there's any more info.

Comment

Working...
                          X