Help needed to access Ancestry Probate entry: LUCRETIA LEWIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed to access Ancestry Probate entry: LUCRETIA LEWIS

Is showing up on Ancestry Probate but need to check it is my Lucretia Lewis born 21/3/1845 and her ?BMD death reg is Oct 1909 Islington. The bit of the entry I can access says:

Lucretia Lewis 1910 Middx.

Her address in 1901, with husband, Frederick Wm Lewis, a bootmaker, was:
    209 Liverpool Rd Civil par/reg district: Islington, London.
    Ecc par: Holy Trinity Sub-reg district: Barnsbury

He is widowed in 1911 and still at that address, so that should be the address for Probate.

I don't have premium subs so would be grateful if someone could copy and paste the entry for me on to here . Many thanks.

Liz

LEWIS Lucretia of 209 Liverpool-road Islington Middlesex (wife of Frederick William Lewis) died 23 December 1910 Administration London 5 February to James Robert Cornish leather factor and Frederick George English commercial clerk. Effects 175 pounds
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much Elaine...with FTF help, I'm getting into this probate bit now
      Liz

Comment

I like the way it helps you fill in some death dates ... for free!
        Elaine

Comment

The only thing with this one I don't understand is why her estate didn't go to her husband and 2 children (minors). I must search for the benefactors' names when I have time...
          Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post
            The only thing with this one I don't understand is why her estate didn't go to her husband and 2 children (minors). I must search for the benefactors' names when I have time...
            The names quoted on the entry are not necessarily the beneficiaries of an estate but the ones who administered it so that could even be a solicitor.
            You can only find out who inherited by getting the will. Cost £6 from the Probate Office
            Margaret

Comment

There is a possible marriage for James Robert Cornish to a Harriet Lewis - Sept 1884 Islington - ? was he related to her.

Doesn't mean that the estate went to him and Frederick - just that they were given Administration to adminster the estate.
              Elaine

Comment

I haven't looked into Lucretia's husband's side very much so looks like that must be the connection. his father was Wm Boyd Lewis, a bootmaker.

It looks from BMD as if Fred'K Wm Lewis b1855 died around 3/1920 Islington and there is a probate entry for him too. Could you check it out for me Elaine. His children were Edith Duberty (nee Lewis) amd William Lewis. Thanks.
                Frederick William Lewis 1920 Middlesex, England
                Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 17-09-11, 18:46.
                Liz

Comment

LEWIS Frederick William of 209 Liverpool-road Islington Middlesex died 4 March 1920 Probate London 4 May to James Robert Cornish leather factor and Frederick George English commercial clerk.
                  Effects 2339 4s 2d
                  (sorry haven't got a pound sign on this computer!)
                  Elaine

Comment

I reckon they were partners in their bootmaking business...that's really interesting Elaine.
                    Liz

Comment

Working...
                    X