Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost ... Frederick Grey Mapp born 1889 Worcester... a sad tale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost ... Frederick Grey Mapp born 1889 Worcester... a sad tale!

The Churchwarden at my neighbouring Church, told me a sad tale today, Frederick Grey Mapp, was living with his father Thomas and brothers aged 21, in Pump Street Worcester in 1911, working with his father in the family 'provision' business/shop! However there was a big falling out and he left the family home and was never heard of again, despite lots of searches at the time and Ian has tried to find records since...it is a mystery.
    There was a Frederick Mapp killed in 1917, but he was from Stourport in Worcestershire, with different parents.
    Did he emigrate?? Maybe he changed his name - what a puzzle. Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
    Rachel

I am seriously thinking he left the UK - perhaps to Canada or the US??
    Last edited by ukfamilyhistory; 18-09-11, 14:24.

There is a marriage for a Frederick G Mapp to a Eva M Smith in Worcester JFM qtr 1917 6c 198. Although this may be the 'other' Frederick.

Looking closer at the public tree on Ancestry, which lists his parents as Frederick A & Eliza Mapp, the census reference on there for 1901 refers to 'your' Frederick with parents Thomas & Eliz Mapp!
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 17-09-11, 16:36.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thanks Sue, yes you are correct Thomas and Elizabeth were his parents, by 1911 Elizabeth had died, it was Thomas who had the big falling out with Frederick Grey - the more I look the more I think he emigrated or changed his name!

Comment

Could anyone have a look at Canada or US emigration records, perhaps he left the country???

Comment

There appears to be 3 children born from the marriage I found, all in Worcester in 1920, 1921 & 1924. I won't post names in case they are still living, but I found them on FreeBMD.

I did have a quick look at the Canadian & USA records on Ancestry, but I'll look again to see if I missed anything yesterday.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Kelly's directory for 1913 shows a Frederick Mapp, a gem setter, at 98 Spencer Street, Birmingham.

There is a death for Eva M Mapp in December qtr 1959 in Hereford. Haven't found a death for Fred yet.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I've found some Army records for a Frederick Mapp, who is a jeweller and the age fits. He gives his address as 59 Soho Road, Handsworth, Birmingham and he enlisted in the Devonshire Regt. on 3 November 1915 for 3 years. He was wounded and as far as I can make out, was taken Prisoner of War in Germany in April 1917 and repatriated in March 1919.

I can't find any mention of him in the emigration or USA records on Ancestry though. Sorry.
              Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 18-09-11, 21:30.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

there are these possibles:

Name: Frederick G Mapp
                Spouse: Toombs
                Marriage: Jun 1936 - Ledbury, Herefordshire

Spouse: Evans
                Marriage: Dec 1963 - Stroud, Gloucestershire

Birth: abt 1899
                Death: Sep 1968 - Plymouth, Devon, England

though I must say I cant see anything else, in either USA or Canada for him.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you so much Sue and Julie, lots for me to check through, I'm so grateful. I'll post if I get anywhere, will have to go to certificates to be sure I think.
                  Thank you both again, best wishes Rachel

Comment

Have now found 2 Frederick Mapps in Ledbury, think one born there but the other is a possibility - fingers crossed - Really grateful for all the help

Comment

Working...
                    X