X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still Mitchell, different line

Can anyone find a family in census records:

John Mitchell (married Mary Pope, 1837, Redruth) - ages unknown

daughter Eliza, born 1846, Camborne (possible middle initial M, but perhaps that's just the initial of her married name
    son James (no DOB)
    son William (no DOB)
    and at least one other child, a daughter

Eliza married in 1864, so the best chance of catching them in 1851 or 1861.

Thanks

there's an eliza jane michel b.1847 camborne, cornwall with parents john and mary in 1861. they are living at troon, camborne. their is a brother john b.1842. the family are mine labourers.

Comment

the 1861 family your after may be:

thomas michell b.1842 camborne. miner. head of household. all others are his siblings.
      eliza b.1846 camborne. housekeeper.
      kittey b.1847 camborne. work to mine.
      james b.1849 camborne. miner.
      william b.1852 camborne. scholar.
      thomas b.1856, camborne. scholar.

address is beacon camborne. looking at the image, the head does not look like thos, the "t's" are different for all the others. likewise it is not like the "m's" on the page so doesnt look like "mr". the other option is jno, but is still not sure.

Comment

yes it shouls john as head in 1861.

the family in 1851:

john michell head. b.1812, camborne. copper miner.
        mary. wife b.1816 illogan.
        mary anne. dau b.1837, camborne. all kids b.camborne. mine worker.
        elizabeth. dau b.1841. scholar
        john. son b.1843. scholar
        jane. dau b.1845
        eliza. dau b.1846
        kitty. dau b.1848
        james. son 3 mths b.1851

address is navogoby, camborne.

Comment

1841 knavegoby, camborne

john michel b.1811 cornwall. copper miner.
          mary b.1816 cornwall.
          mary anne b.1838 cornwall.
          jane b1839 cornwall.
          elizabeth 3 mths b.1841 cornwall.

the registration district is redruth.

Comment

there are many john and mary michell deaths in redruth district after 1851.

Comment

there are no burials in the time frame your after at camborne on findmypast. so i can't help you narrow down the possibilities there. camborne isn't a parish listed in the cornwall parish registers collection at familysearch.org either.

i noticed the cornwall historical society or parish clerks had transcribed the cornwall set on findmypast. maybe it's worth getting the marriage for eliza mitchell or variant to confirm her father was john a copper miner. and then you could look for her birth cert.

Comment

ok, findmypast doesn't seem to have records for camborne after c.1837.

here is the ch. of mary anne

mary anne michell ch.11 nov 1837, camborne. john and mary michell.

Comment

i see the marriage of john michell and mary pope is in redruth in 1837, so you can get the cert. and the igi has a submitted entry saying john's father was cyprus michell, of which i saw a few christenings for his kids. mary's father was given as james pope.

Comment

Kyle, you are amazing!
                    Thanks so much. I'd checked familysearch, but missed the IGI entry. Yes, I've spotted the marriage record, but, well, the money tree is well picked these days. Eliza is not direct ancestor, but she was the only mother my g'grandfather knewafter his own mother died and his father remarried. She took care of him even after his father died.

I can't wait to see these entries in Ancestry . . .
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 17-09-11, 04:42.

Comment

it was quite easy actually. i wish the people i look into were this easy!

Comment

Oh, not in Ancestry. It wouldn't make the leap from Mitchell to Michell. I still haven't found the 1841 entry - could you give me the numbers for the page?

Also, it didn't help that I was persistently looking in the 1861 census for parents John & Mary. Some or all of the family took off for the US, apparently in batches. I've already found one tree on Ancestry with a descendant, tho they hadn't found the links back to Cornwall.

Thanks again
                        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                          Oh, not in Ancestry. It wouldn't make the leap from Mitchell to Michell.
                          It will if you use the wildcard feature. If you search with MI*CHELL it will pick up all the Michells and Mitchells. The asterisk can stand for any number of letters from zero up.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X