Tweedmouth workhouse , Berwick on tweed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweedmouth workhouse , Berwick on tweed

Would anyone know of any photos of the inmates of the Workhouse in Berwick , 1911c?.I had relatives living there and wondered if there were any pictures of them.
    Many thanks
    EP

You could try the Local History Society and maybe even the local library would be able to help.

I have family from Manchester and I found the City Council website had some photographs of areas that had been redeveloped and buildings demolished - so maybe even the local council might help.
    Margaret

Comment

Margaret

I am hoping to get down to Berwick next week , I live about 30 miles away. so will look in at the library and see what I can find.
      Thanks Evelyn

Comment

I am not really sure why a workhouse would go to the expense of photographing its inmates but I suppose they might have for some reason which presently escapes me, lol!

OC

Comment

OC
          It`s a long shot I know ,but I have seen photographs of the children ,it was mainly children ,in some books and on tv.
          You never know,
          Evelyn

Comment

There is a good website about the workhouse, best suggestion re photographs would be the archives just around the corner from the library, the only problem being they have fairly limited opening times but the archivist (Linda Bankier), is really good and knows virtually the entire collection she has in her care.

Berwick-upon-Tweed Record Office
            Council Office
            Wallace Green
            Berwick-upon-Tweed
            TD15 1ED
            Tel: 01289 301865
            Fax: 01289 330540
            E-mail: lbankier@woodhorn.org.uk
            Opening hours;
            Monday - Closed
            Tueday - Closed
            Wednesday - 9.30 - 1.00 & 2.00 - 5.00
            Thursday - 9.30 - 1.00 & 2.00 - 5.00
            Friday - Closed
            Saturday - Closed
            Sunday - Closed
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Glen
              Have contacted Linda at Berwick archives ,but no reply yet. The library did not have anything on the workhouse Margaret, hopefully Linda will.
              Thanks for advice
              Evelyn

Comment

Originally posted by julip View Post
                Glen
                Have contacted Linda at Berwick archives ,but no reply yet. The library did not have anything on the workhouse Margaret, hopefully Linda will.
                Thanks for advice
                Evelyn
                Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
                Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X