Any ideas for this marriage please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas for this marriage please?

Andrew Edroff and Hannah - married c 1799 - first known child born in St George in the East 1800. Andrew is a tailor, most of the kids become tailors or musicians. Now Hannah (or Anna /Anne on some of the baps) is still alive in 1841 and shown as born Middx 1772.

Im blowed if I can find a marriage for them or indeed any earlier Edroffs. The occupation and name leads me to think possibly Jewish/Dutch? but all the children are baptised in church.

Any ideas please?

I found this marriage: Andrew Taylor married Hannah Kemp 18 March 1798 in Spitalfields

Could Andrew's occupation have been mistakenly recorded as his surname? Or could he have sometimes used the surname Taylor? I believe some Jewish immigrants who worked as tailors did adopt Taylor as their surname.

Just a guess though.

Kirsty

Comment

Ive been looking at possible variations of the name, but to be honest there arent many. Edropp is one or Edrup.
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 15-09-11, 22:20.

Comment

Thats a thought Kirsty thanks. Will bear that in mind.

Oh, no its not them Kirsty, found the marriage reg and he actually signs as Andrew Taylor. As he uses Edroff the rest of the time, its unlikely :( Never mind, thanks for the idea - I have had marriages with the groom confused with the witness before now

Im still looking for his death too. Found Hannahs ok in 1844.
        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 15-09-11, 22:21.

Comment

Hi Heather, At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, I've just done an Ancestry search for Andrew Edroff and there are a few "Edroffs" just off your time scale but may be worth looking at since all are living Hackney, Mile End & Stepney Areas. Regards.

Comment

Heather,
            do you know if Andrew had a brother William?
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there is a bapt of a Edward William John EDDRUP s/of James & Ann on 30 Nov 1766 st botolph aldgate
              Julie

Comment

cant see much of anything really Heather.. sorry.
                Julie

Comment

there are alot of EDDRUPs on familysearch

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                  Julie

Comment

Hi, its a strange one isnt it. Unusual name, should leap out of the records. Thanks for your input xx

Comment

Working...
                    X