Edwin Wilkinson and Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Wilkinson and Family

Having chased Edwin Wilkinson through the census returns and come to a stop in 1881. I finally got round to ordering a death certificate to see if Barnsley was his final resting place. I am pleased to say I think the certificate is correct. I should add that whilst there are not many Edwin Wilkinson's every census he was living in a different place so I was not at all sure that this certificate would be his particularly as in 1881 he was in Whassett, Milnthorpe, Cumbria. There does seem to be a bit of artistic licence re his occupation. In 1881 he was a clerk in a paper Mill on his death certificate he is recorded as a retired paper Manufacturer.

The informant was his son John (born 1855 Derby). John last appears with his parents in 1871 when he is recorded as a Drapers apprentice in Nottingham. I don't know where he went after that. A distant relative seems to be of the opinion that John may have been a Doctor but it seem unlikely that some one working as a Drapers apprentice would change their occupation and become a Doctor.The name is not helpful. I have also not managed to track his sister Emma (Born Derby 1854) who I think possibly married between 1871 and 1881. But, I don't know who to or where.

John and Emma's oldest brother William born Cromford 1840 is also a problem. He was last recorded with his parents in Salford in 1851. The same distant releative who had the idea that John may have trained as a doctor seem to think that William had Emigrated to New Zealand and worked for one of the big Newspapers there. I have newer managed to find any conformation that this was the case.

Finally, when and where did Edwins wife die. I was expecting the informant for Edwin's death to be his wife Sarah but it wasn't. There are too many Sarah Wilkinson's to guess at!!!

All help, ideas and inspiration will be appreciated.

Sandra

When did Edwin die and who did report his death?

Comment

Edwin died 17 Jan 1882. The informant was John Wilkinson.

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
        Edwin died 17 Jan 1882. The informant was John Wilkinson.
        The son?
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Where did Edwin die and what district was it registered in?
          Margaret

Comment

Hi Uncle John,

I think so. Edwin certainly had a son named John.

Sandra

Comment

What was the address on the death certificate for Edwin?
              Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

The address for Edwin was 2 Sheffield Road Barnsley.

Uncle John, brain not working..... It states on the certificate that John(the informant) was his son !!!!

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                X