JAMES PROCKTOR HARDING - help needed to find his parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAMES PROCKTOR HARDING - help needed to find his parents

A bit of help needed on this one. Can't find on IGI.

James Procktor Harding was born 1811 St Pancras, Middx (from census and BMD death index etc.)

From Ancestry London Marriages (27.11.1847 St James, Clerkenwell, Islington) know his father was also James Procktor Harding, a carpenter. Not described as deceased. So looking for 1841 census, possibly St Pancras area. No James P Hardings but many James. This one might be a possibility - can you read the occupation of James Harding:

Unfortunately Ancestry London Baps start from 1813 and James P Harding b1811 doesn't appear.
    As he named his own eldest son by the same name, reckon that Procktor middle name must be important - perhaps his paternal grandmother's maiden name?

Many thanks...
    Liz

Occupation looks like Appraiser

From the Dictionary of Old Occupations
    Appraiser: appraised (valued) goods, or who assessed the authenticity of items such as works of art.
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine - in many ways that occupation makes more sense as I wonder where all the money came from with James Procktor Harding b1811. By 1851 his occupation was a Gentleman and throughout the census, he is Fund Holder and Properties.

The only 1841 census I can find for JP Harding b1811 his occupation is French Polisher. Now his wife's family had members who were in that trade and in that area...

ADDED: Ignore last paragraph, just rechecked that 1841 census for James b1811 and he has a wife. On his marriage cert, he is a bachelor...
      Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 15-09-11, 14:58.
      Liz

Comment

I would have thought the James Harding in the 1841 census is too old - he is age 50 therefore born c1791.
        James Procktor's father on the marriage certificate is also James but his occupation is given as carpenter.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post

Unfortunately Ancestry London Baps start from 1813
          Pre-1813 baptisms here:

Comment

Thanks Mary...there are 2 James Harding on there with Fa James but it needs premium membership to check out.
            Could someone take a look for me. The baps need to be St Pancras. Most of his wife's family were bap at the Old Church,l St Pancras.
            Liz

Comment

Elaine - I did mean his father for that 1841 entry. The father of James b1811 would be born about 1791...
              Liz

Comment

This is James b1811 in 1851:

Head: James Procktor Harding b1811 Pancras. Fund Holder
                Wife: Mary Harding b1824 St Pancras,
                Son: James Harding b1850 10 months old.
                Servant Caroline Byrne 14

Lived with another family: Joseph R ?Stone (Clerk), wife Martha A (born Strand).

Address: 10 Southampton St Civil parish/reg district: Clerkenwell, Middx.
                Ecclesiastical parish: St James Sub reg district: Pentonville
                Liz

Comment

The only one at St. Pancras is 25/5/1806, James son of James and Mary Harding.

Possible siblings: Sophia Mary 1801 and William Henry 1803.

Comment

Thanks Mary, I think that one is too early. His year of birth is consistently given as 1811 including death BMD. Worth a try...
                    Liz

Comment

I would discard the 1841 census you found for James Harding born 1791.

I can see him in 1851 with the occupation of Retired Abbrasser (looks like appraiser on the image) - living Albury Street, Pancras.
                      In 1851 his name is recorded as James G Harding and he is living with wife Jane and lodger Emilia L Hill.

Wife presumably dies as he subsequently marries Emilia in 1858.
                      I can then see an entry in the Probate Calendar for a James Graham Harding - died Albury Street, Pancras - widow Emilia Louisa Harding.
                      Elaine

Comment

Oh thanks for that, Elaine...I am just searching IGI for any marriages between a Harding and a Procktor. One comes up in 1840s...too late...think might have come to a dead end here...
                        Liz

Comment

I've just been trawling again for James b1811 in the 1841 census and that French polisher so fits with year of birth et. I found BMD death for his wife Amelia. Can you just check his marriage cert to ensure I have read his marital status correct as Bachelor - it is abbreviated:

Thanks...
                          Liz

Comment

I would agree that it says bachelor.
                            Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine...am calling it a day for now on the Procktor Harding...thank you again for the Probate entry. has resolved an issue with a website about the son b1850 re spelling of the middle name . For once I was right!
                              Liz

Comment

Working...
                              X