back up my thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back up my thoughts?

i have john crosfield b.1791 leeds. from the 1851 census. he died in eccup, yorkshire in 1852. in 1810 he married sarah maria harrison at harewood, he being of adel at the time. (eccup is in adel parish.) after a few years, the family returns to adel and pumps out the kids.

there is a christening at st peter's leeds in 1791, son of anne crosfield.
    there is a marriage in the same church in 1794, to marmaduke prince. they have 4 children, 3 in harewood, and the last in chapel allerton, leeds. marmaduke dies a widower in 1839. i have no trace of anne after 1811.
    this anne seems to be born in harewood, and coincidentally, her parents live in weardley, also her address at the children's christenings, where sarah maria is from.

are there any flaws in the theory that this is my john crosfield, that his mother did marry marmaduke prince, and she was from harewood originally? i guess im looking for some flaws proving this is the same anne crosfield?

if it is my john, i know it's a long shot, but could i learn his father's name? i do not think it was marmaduke prince, and was wondering if she would have been bothered with a bastardy bond? leeds being bigger than an village.

kyle

Is there nothing on the register about a possible father? I think it's almost certain that there would have been a bastardy order (not a Bond) as these were fairly routine - only if the mother came from an obviously supportive and wealthy background would the overseers not bother. Whether such a bastardy order still exists is of course another matter!

I can't see any flaws in your reason except the usual ones - absence of evidence is not evidence, lol and just because this is the only one you can find doesn't make him your man.

OC

Comment

hi oc,

that's what im thinking. he is the only one i have ever found-igi, ancestry, etc and many people have accepted this as him for their family trees. but im just not sure. i know if i do accept it, the family can be traced a long way back in the harewood registers, and this john's mother seems to be from harewood.

their is no father mentioned in the parish register. it is simply "john son of anne crosfield". i was wondering about bastardy bonds. i thought they would only be issued if the parish had to support a child. in somewhere like leeds, i would think anne was a servant somewhere so could support herself? i guess it's possible marmaduke prince was his father, but the gap between birth and her marriage is quite wide, and john never prince as a name as far as i can tell. i guess i can pencil it all in until i find some new evidence. though im still unsure!

Comment

Working...
      X