Downloading images from ancestry to my PC - poor resolution jpgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading images from ancestry to my PC - poor resolution jpgs

I have tried downloading census images from ancestry to my PC but the jpgs do not zoom - you can only magnify and that loses clarity and becomes jagged unreadable pixels. The same goes for documents records such as Banns, birth records, and parish burial ledgers.

There must be a better way to download images.
    Thanks,

Can you link to an example for me so that I try it?
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

i have the same problem. only a small few download well.

Comment

keldon hope this link works for you
        To download, you used to click the orange Save icon

Now they make you do a Right Click>Save Image As..

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8767&iid=SRYRG9_370_371-0749&fn=Henry&ln=Levett&st=r&ssrc=pt_t11859366_p-384171571_kpidz0q3d-384171571z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgPLz0q3dpid&pid=64 36809

Comment

OK the link worked. Are you zooming to 150% and waiting for a few seconds for the image to fully load before you right click, save?
          The image I now have on my PC is readable and I can zoom in without too much problem - bearing in mind this is a digital image of a microfilm.
          Last edited by keldon; 15-09-11, 13:06.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
            OK the link worked. Are you zooming to 150% and waiting for a few seconds for the image to fully load before you right click, save?
            Umm in a word: No.
            Thanks for the tip - I tried it and yes it works better - it gives me a larger file 759KB [not 92KB]
            However while I can "zoom" in it really only gets closer and therefore with large pixels loses clarity, rather than renews it self as a new larger, equally clear, image - if you know what I mean.

Comment

I agree with Phil. Always view the image to at least a 150% zoom before saving (I usuallly use 200%) - and wait until it loads properly before saving.
              Elaine

Comment

It shouldn't lose clarity if you have waited for the image to load properly. When you increase to 150-200% initially it is fuzzy, but wait a while (sometimes up to 20 seconds) and the image should clarify. Then save.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
                  The image I now have on my PC is readable and I can zoom in without too much problem - bearing in mind this is a digital image of a microfilm.
                  Alright then, your image viewer must be behaving better than mine. What do you use keldon. I have a selection to choose from.

Another thing I noticed is the ancestry download is a jpg, whereas the [1911] census images I have are jpeg files. I cannot remember where/when I got theses jpegs, maybe with a special offer from FMPast. But they certainly do not do this enlargment by increasing the image, but rather actually zoom in and refresh the screen to do so.

Comment

as far as I am aware jpg and jpeg are the same thing

JPEG (*.jpg *.jpeg *.jpe and *.jfif)

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                    Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
                      as far as I am aware jpg and jpeg are the same thing
                      Well that's what I thought, too, Raven.
                      My experience with this zooming function is making me think otherwise.

Comment

reading up on it... the sharpness of the JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group. they created the standard)... depends on the number of lossy compressed ratios. the greater the number the better the resolution...

*my piece of usless information..lol*
                        Last edited by Raven; 15-09-11, 13:54. Reason: spelling error

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                        Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by ParkTown View Post
                          Alright then, your image viewer must be behaving better than mine. What do you use keldon. I have a selection to choose from.

Another thing I noticed is the ancestry download is a jpg, whereas the [1911] census images I have are jpeg files. I cannot remember where/when I got theses jpegs, maybe with a special offer from FMPast. But they certainly do not do this enlargment by increasing the image, but rather actually zoom in and refresh the screen to do so.
                          I'm just using the Windows image viewer.
                          This is the quality I'm getting in a close up view, which is about the same as I have always had. I will delete this link when you've seen it to prevent any copyright problems.
                          [Edit: Image removed]

jpg and jpeg are same thing near enough.
                          Last edited by keldon; 15-09-11, 14:57.
                          Phil
                          historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Ta

Comment

Working...
                            X