Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I to gather/collate/store/record my family tree data - suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I to gather/collate/store/record my family tree data - suggestions please

Hello folks, I am looking for suggestions how to collate my tree data, records, documents, and general information.

I use FTMv16 - and will not move to the later versions coz of the horrid layout with its american bias.
    I subscribe to ancestry where I record everything - such as comments, stories, information - with all the links to information such as census images, BDM index records and so on.

I realise I am becoming more dependant on ancestry - no surprise there - but now wish to have more control at my PC level. I can use MSWord/MWExcel and software in general - I just don't know the best method/system for me to setup. I want it PC based not paper and pencil.

I would welcome your suggestions please.
    Thanks,

Cant you just download a gedcom from ancestry and merge it with your FTM?then you can do what you want with FTM and it doenst matter if you cant get on ancestry?
    I have a tree on ancestry and also separately on my computer using FTM. Private and important stuff goes only on my computer. and i have a backup on my external hard drive. oh and paper copies too!!! a bit OCD i know but i have to be sure i dont lose anything.!!!
    Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
      Cant you just download a gedcom from ancestry and merge it with your FTM?then you can do what you want with FTM and it doenst matter if you cant get on ancestry?
      Yes - and if you have ever done this yourself you will know what as utter shambles ancestry makes of the conversation to gedcom, the way it populates fields in FTMv16 makes it unusable.

If I have a tree on ancestry and also separately on my computer using FTMv16 they will never be totally in sync with each other. At the moment ancestry is the master copy where I edit and make changes. I download it to FTM from time to time. But I cannot make changes in FTM coz they'll get overwritten by the next download.

It is for this very reason that I am seeking a better method.
      Last edited by ParkTown; 15-09-11, 12:50.

Comment

Is there a reason why you cannot continue to use FTM v16, e.g. a computer update which will not accept the earlier versions of FTM.
        If not, why not continue using the program that you are familiar with, uploading a gedcom to Ancestry from time to time should you wish.

By the way, I fought using the 2008/2009/2010/2011 version of FTM for a long time, but having made the move I would not now go back.
        Elaine

Comment

I may be muddying the waters here but I use FTM2005 as I understand it. Also have FTM 2011 but dont use that as i get lost.
          my main computer based version is FTM 2005 and i just use ancestry for hunting.
          why not download a gedcom to FTM - sort it once and for all using data errors - kill off the old ancestry tree when you have got all of it and then up load a gedcom to ancestry from the revised version of FTM?then it should be right.
          some people use Tribal pages but i dont know anything about that.

Elaine -if what i have written is rubbish or dangerous then pls delete this post. thanks
          Angelina

Comment

angelina, to my ears your words are wise - thanks for your view on this.

Like you I tried FTM2011 and got lost.
            Like you I use FTMv16 on my PC and ancestry for hunting.
            Tribal pages - erh?
            My concern with sorting out a downloaded gedcom using FTMv16 is that the finished copy will lose something in the translation back to ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              By the way, I fought using the 2008/2009/2010/2011 version of FTM for a long time, but having made the move I would not now go back.
              Really?
              Elaine, that's the sort of encouragement I need.
              I am all too quick to move folk onto Win 7 and away from Win XP, but I cannot take my own medicine when it comes to moving from FTMv16 to FTM 2011 [or even the new sync version FTM 2012]
              Last edited by ParkTown; 15-09-11, 13:35.

Comment

Parktown.

I think the first thing you need to decide is whether you want to keep your main data file on your own computer, and under your total control. If this is the case then you need to find a program that you are happy working with. If you are happy with FTMv16, and this continues to work on your computer, then there is no need to update it.

If on the other hand you prefer building your tree online, on a site such as Ancestry - and are happy for someone else to have control over your tree because you are hosting it on their site, then stick with Ancestry.

I know which I prefer and that is to have it on my computer under my control. My suggestion would therefore be find a software program that you like and use it. Should you wish to upload to an external site such as Ancestry or Tribal Pages from time to time, then all you need to do is export a GEDCOM data file and upload. These can be updated by a new upload as and when more information is discovered.
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by ParkTown View Post
                  Really?
                  Elaine, that's the sort of encouragement I need.
                  I am all too quick to move folk onto Win 7 and away from Win XP, but I cannot take my own medicine when it comes to moving from FTMv16 to FTM 2011 [or even the new sync version FTN 2012]
                  You can look through old posts on this forum and you will see me fighting against the more up to date versions. Having made the move to FTM 2011 I would not go back. Takes a bit of getting used to but in my opinion far better than the earlier versions.

By the way, I would not advise anyone to use FTM 2008 or 2009. It was released with a lot of bugs and some options missing - was definitely a backward step for FTM.
                  Version 2010 was improved and now with version 2011 I don't think there is anything to complain about.
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, you have a nice way of summarising - you'd make a good facilitator. [One who contributes structure and process to interactions so groups are able to function effectively and make high-quality decisions. A helper and enabler whose goal is to support others as they achieve exceptional performance]

Comment

right i have had a think:-
                      you need to decide where you want to keep the master tree on ancestry or on your computer?
                      if its ancestry then fair enough - but you will always need internet access. save the info twice once to ancestry tree and have another tab open with FTM open and put the info in there too at same time..
                      if its on your computer then do the 'save twice' method above and you will be sure that you have it on your computer even if it goes a bit odd on ancestry.label/rename the FTM version with the date of new version and save it on external hard drive so you dont lose it.or email yourself a gedcom then you wont lose it. Told you i had bit of ocd!!!
                      as for uploading a revised version from FTM to ancestry i think you will have to hope for the best as I dont know the technicalities -maybe some one else will come along and help you on that. Its possible to upload a new revised version to ancestry but call it something else eg bloggs family 15 sept 11 and see if its all there and if it is then kill off old tree on ancestry.
                      tribal pages - google them and see if you like it. its worth rooting about on there anyway to see what other people have found already if their tree is open.
                      Angelina

Comment

Another option if you do not like the interface which comes with FTM 2011, is to wait for FTM 2012, due to be released at the end of the month.

One of the advertised changes is:
                        Simplified Interface for Upgraders
                        When you install Family Tree Maker 2012, the software detects whether you are upgrading from a previous version of Family Tree Maker (version 16 or earlier). If you are, Family Tree Maker displays a simplified user interface that looks more like older versions of Family Tree Maker.
                        FTM 2012 will also "sync" your tree so that you can update it on either Ancestry or on your computer - and both files will match. Should be of great benefit to those who tend to forget which version of their tree they are using - Ancestry or FTM on their computer! ;)

Now you can work on your family tree anywhere with the new TreeSync feature. When you link your desktop and online trees together, you can update either tree and then synchronize those changes into the other tree-manually or automatically.
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                          right i have had a think:-
                          you need to decide where you want to keep the master tree on ancestry or on your computer?.
                          You're right.
                          What started me on this topic was hearing that FTM2012 has a sync function - which sounds like you update your FTM2012 on your PC hard drive and it syncs with the ancestry file on-line. [in real time? seemlessly?] I have my doubts, ancestry are not that clever.

Comment

Elaine, our posts crossed - you can type much quicker than me, Grrhh, ha ha.

Comment

To back Elaine up, I had FTM 2005 and resisted changing. I bought FTM 2010 and then 2011 (platinum) because they come with 6 months free premium Ancestry which is a much cheaper way of subscribing (about £30 compared to £50 odd).

I eventually decided to try the newer versions and didn't like them at first, but decided to persevere. Now I can't remember what my problem was

Just to add that I don't have an Ancestry tree so I'm only talking about how it works for me on my laptop
                              Jackie

Comment

Have to say I do like the sound of this new option on FTM 2012... updating both the tree in ancestry and on your pc at the same time...and it works the other way too am led to believe..... will have to wait and see

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                                Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                  I eventually decided to try the newer versions and didn't like them at first, but decided to persevere. Now I can't remember what my problem was
                                  Thanks for the reassurance - I've got 2011 tucked away somewhere I'll have to give it another go.
                                  Trouble is, I seem to remember every was very biased and U.S. led - is there a way of telling the FTM software that I am in England.

Comment

I use 2011 version and one I have got from States(it was cheaper) never had a problem using it, not noticed any US bias, dont use the map part of program and thats only part would think would be biased.
                                    The new version seems very interesting, will probably get, you can pre order at moment they are saying sent out last week in Sept., but probably wait this time to come out here.

Comment

Just to muddy the water even more ........
                                      If you don't like the US bias of FTM why not give Family Historian a try. You can download a fully working trial copy from here http://www.family-historian.co.uk/. It is entirely British!!

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X