Can anyone find my family on 1861 or 1871 please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find my family on 1861 or 1871 please

Annie Leonard born c1838 Brighton Sussex.

Rose Leonard born 1859 Brighton Sussex (have birth certificate) no father

Richard Singleton Leonard born 1861 Brighton Sussex (have birth certificate) no father

I have Annie and Richard on 1881, Rose had just married to Henry Stephens.

Says on 1881 that Annie in a widow but I suspect she had NEVER been married.

Can't find a records on Annie's birth either...although Richard's second name 'Singleton' muddies the waters a bit.

Annie is my OH's great great grandmother.

Thanks

Linda

When was Richard born and what is the address on the birth certificate?
    Elaine

Comment

Richard was born 14th August so will only be on 1871 he was born in the workhouse but address of Annie is 6 Wood Street, Brighton.

Rose was born at 13 Upper North Street, Brighton on 29th November 1859

Linda

Comment

I wonder if this is your Annie
        Sarah Anne Lenord

Mar 1838
        Battle Sussex
        7 222

Comment

1871 there is a Annie Leonard mistranscribed as Anne born abt 1838 in Sussex
          RG10 1068 47 31
          Last edited by Guest; 13-09-11, 22:15.

Comment

Thanks Val I'll check those two out

Linda

Comment

There must have been something nasty going around in Brighton in 1902.

FreeBMD has two Richard Singleton LEONARD deaths - 53-year-old in Jun Q and 12-year-old in Dec Q.

But I imagine you've already found those.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine,

Might get the death certs. Richard Snr was my husbands Great Uncle his sister Rose/Rosa being his Great Grandmother

Linda

Comment

do you know what her parents names were Linda?
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

have you seen these?

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

there is a MARIA ANN Lennard bapt 1837 in Brighton, maybe she dropped the Maria bit?
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Linda

This is conjecture on my part, but it may be worth your consideration.

I couldn't get the 1871 census below (for a Richard and Annie) out of my head when I first read your thread. Then when reading your other thread (singleton Leonard) I decided to revisit the 1871 census returns. I can't explain why, but I have a hunch these are your folks but at the moment can't establish a link to prove anything. I will keep at it, I haven't found evidence anywhere of a Singleton Leonard's existence and can only conclude he was fictitious.

1871 census, Brighton Sussex. RG10; Piece: 1082; Folio: 143; Page: 37 (Crown copyright in care of TNA).

George Johnson 53
                      Mary Ann Johnson 52
                      Mary Ann Johnson 25
                      Clara Johnson 15
                      Emily Johnson 11
                      Flora Johnson 4
                      Florence Johnson 3
                      Annie Pusey 32, Lodger, born Brighton
                      Richard Pusey 10, Lodger, Brighton
                      Thomas Benyon 38

I then looked for Rosa and found this

1871, Tunbridge Wells, Kent. RG10; Piece: 929; Folio: 7; Page: 6 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

John Carr 25, Grocer's Assistant, Frant Sussex
                      Georgiana Carr 30, Brighton
                      Arthur Jno Carr 3, Tunbridge Wells
                      Lydia R Carr 2, Tunbridge Wells
                      Rosa Pusey 12, niece, Brighton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marriages Sep 1866, Tunbridge, 2a/837. John Carr and also indexed Georgiana Pusey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

I next looked for Georgiana Pusey on earlier census and found ...............

1841, Brighthelmstone, Kemptown, Brighton. Parents' not born in County, all children born in County

George Pursey 35
                      Mary Pursey 35
                      William Pursey 11
                      Mary Pursey 8
                      Thomas Pursey 6
                      Anne Pursey 3
                      Georgiana Pursey, 1.

Comment

I should have mentioned, there's no birth, marriage, death or census records for Richard or Rosa(e) Pusey (and it's variant spellings), other than the 1871 census!
                        Last edited by Guest; 18-09-11, 01:42.

Comment

Hi Susan.

At first I was mystified..but the more I looked the more I can see what you mean.

I am very grateful for your interest. I am beginning to think that Singleton was probably ficticious as well.

Rose(a) Leonard was my husband's Great Grandmother and married in Brighton as Rose Leonard.

Thanks for your help

Linda

Comment

Hi Linda,

I've just come across a tree on Ancestry which you may like to check out and contact tree owner. The tree name is Hutchings Family Tree.

According to the tree George Pusey (and various spellings of) 1841 census above, was first married to Mary Knowles who was the mother of Ann and Georgina, he then married Mary LEONARD, 22/4/1840. Could this be where Ann got the surname Leonard?

Also Georgiana isn't with her family in 1851 but she can be found living with relatives (niece), you may want to check out the folks she's living with.

HO107; Piece: 1615; Folio: 291; Page: 34

Comment

I think it possible Mary Leonard was the mother of Ann(ie) and Georgina, and if so Ann was born before her parents' married. I cannot find a death in the GRO index for Mary Pusey/Pewsey etc (the first Mrs P. nee Knowles) which suggests she died pre 1837.

Both Ann and Georgiana's baptisms are on family search 19/7/1840 at St Nicholas Brighton.
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-10-11, 12:59. Reason: name correction

Comment

Hi Susan,

It's amazing what you have found out....................a real detective.

I will contact the tree owner and see what I can find out.

...........and of course I'll let you know.

Thanks so much

Linda

Comment

My pleasure Linda,

I hope it all unravels and you take it further back. One record I haven't found is Ann/Annie's birth registration I looked for both Leonard and Pusey Pewsey etc. I'll continue to look for mistranscriptions as that's the one record which will establish which Mary was her mother, though it does seem Mary Leonard probably was. It is for now circumstantial evidence but certainly looks promising.

Good luck and yes please do keep me informed.

Comment

Don't forget Pusey can also be written as PUZEY, PUZZEY, and even PIZZEY.
                                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                                      Don't forget Pusey can also be written as PUZEY, PUZZEY, and even PIZZEY.
                                      Yes Wendy, I had looked under those spellings too. I am more inclined to believe Ann was born Leonard otherwise why register her children using that name?

Comment

Working...
                                      X