ancestry leeds registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ancestry leeds registers

ancestry is doing my head in. there are a list of baptisms at st peter's leeds in ancestry's 1538-1812 west yorkshire records.

some baptisms are from st peter's, others are listed as the hunslet registers, and one hunslet baptism page was in the same book as burials for chapel allerton?

has ancestry screwed up? or is hunslet part of st peters?

Kyle, I believe Ancestry has mangled the names of several parishes. I have been in touch with them about another pair of parishes (Kippax and "Hunslet Moor, St Cuthbert") The records I was looking at date from the 1600s and I have always thought they were from Kippax. Ancestry has them listed under Hunslet Moor but when I Google that parish it does not seem to be an ancient parish and therefore couldn't possibly have records dating to the 1600s. I have suggested to them that there may have been a muddle in parish names but (although they acknowledged my email) nothing has been done so far.

Anne

Comment

This is interesting. I have been looking at records for Swillington, Kippax and Hunslet Moor this afternoon re my Abbotts. I am fairly sure that I have the correct individuals on the Hunslet Moor registers and in the register it states that one of the Abbotts came from Swillington. I thought it was a bit strange that they travelled so far to marry and baptise their children!

Sandra

Comment

St. peter's had several chapels as well as the main church, I think (but am not sure) that Hunslet and Chapel Allerton were a couple of the chapels. This is from the Leeds parish Church (St. Peter's) website.

"the Parish Church of St Peter served a vast parish, covering some 34 square miles and including a number of outlying villages and their land, such as Headingley and Farnley. Some of these had their own chapels, but St Peter’s remained the mother church"

Hope that helps , - not sure if Hunslet Moor and Kippax and Swillington are related tho

Comment

Ah!! Glad someone else is puzzled. Maybe if everyone emailed Ancestry about it as well we might get somewhere? I am reasonably convinced that the records from the 1600s I was looking at should be listed under Kippax and not Hunslet Moor but without actually visiting the archives myself (not possible at the moment) I cannot confirm this.

Can anyone with local knowledge confirm the approximate date of the parish of St Cuthbert Hunslet Moor?

Anne

Comment

im glad im not alone! i guess we will have to wait and see what they say about the parish names?

Comment

Hi Anne,

The Pontefract FHS have posted this on rootsweb............

'Checking with the YPRS printed parish register for Kippax, items indexed on
              Ancestry as Hunslet Moor, St Cuthbert are actually Kippax St Mary.

Items indexed as Kippax are actually Kirk Deighton'

Comment

Oh! Thank you so much for this information Susan! My suspicions were justified then! You can see how they are close in the alphabet and the people filming have probably forgotten to move the name on as they were capturing the images.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                X