Jane Lorrains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane Lorrains

Does anyone have a Jane Lorrains b 1890c possibly Scotland. She married William Purves b 1788 in Duns, Berwickshire in 1808. They lived in Berwick on Tweed where all their children were born.I am trying to find her parents.
    Children........

Jane 1810,William 1812 m Jane Hedley, ALEX 1836, ALLAN 1834 ,James 1818, Ann 1816 m AlexHope, John 1828 ,Margaret 1814 Samuel 1831.
    Any information would be welcome
    EP.

Hi,
    If she died after 1855 then her parents names would be on the cert....however I can't find anyone with that name combination......she could well have died before registraion.
    You probably have the marriage OPR - from Scotlands People. Sometimes they list the "cautioners" and frequently (but not always)they are the fathers of the bride and groom....so that may give a clue.
    Have you tried for monumental inscriptions? Occasionally a few generations will appear on a stone.
    There are a few William Purves of Duns Wills on SP. Not that that will get the parents.

Sorry I am not offering much help
    Last edited by herky; 13-09-11, 15:24.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Herky,
      The marriage I think is the one is on LDS.,but she is down as Jean ! Not that that means anything,my family have a penchant for heartily disliking their given names, even putting their nicknames on the census forms .It makes life difficult for tracing them.I am pretty sure William and Jane are buried in Berwick, but I have quite a few without headstones.I contacted Berwick Reg. to find a death for Jane , but they haven`t come up with anything so far.Likewise I contacted Duns Parish church about the marriage but no joy..This is my last resort, hoping someone connected to the family will see this.I couldnt come up with a marriage on Scotlands People,but sometimes it`s there , just not putting in the right combination.Been there done that !
      Thanks for suggestions
      EP.
      Last edited by julip; 13-09-11, 17:25.

Comment

Jean/Jane interchangeable in Scotland, with Jean being the most common form of the name.

OC

Comment

Yes, Jean,Jane,Janet, Jessie - all interchangeable in Scotland.

There is a marriage on SP of a
          Jean LORRAINS to William PURVES, in Duns, 25 October 1808.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Lorrains...might this be Laurence?

OC

Comment

Thanks to you both.
              I looked for ages on SP , I bet you found it in seconds Herky.I should get a copy at the library. I know from experience,which is pitifully little ! that before 1855 there is very little info, but I will at least have it in black and white.Thanks for that.Did you get my message ? It is probably in outer space by now.
              Evelyn

Comment

I hope there is something useful on the marriage - they can be quite disappointing sometimes. I think it depends on the parish as to how much information is included.
                I have had some with father's name and occupation and even the address where the couple are to live once married. Others have just the names and date and nothing else.

Yes. got your message.
                Let us know how you get on and good luck.
                herky

Comment

Hi All , Reporting in re Jane/jean Lorrains .

I got the marriage record for William Purves and Jean Lorrains. m 25th Oct.1808 , Whitsome, Duns.Witnesses Samuel Virtue and William Laurie.
                  Unfortunately that`s all there was , no parents names.
                  I have been waiting for Jane`s death certificate from Berwick Reg Office, it came today.

13th March 1874 , Church Street, Berwick.
                  Jane Purves , 86 yrs. Widow of William Purves , shoemaker.
                  Informant is Catherine Trainer, present at the death , Church Street.

I was hoping it would have at least one of her children`s names on it . it may be a neighbour who was present as they usually list in laws
                  name. The Scottish certs have a lot more info. on them,listing previous marriages, parents names etc.The only clue to her surname is there
                  is the following with Lorrains as a middle name.
                  1861 census .............
                  Cannon Yard Jane Purves Head widower 71 formerly servant? b Scotland
                  Cannon Yard William Dodds Purves grandson 9 scholar b South Shields Durham
                  Cannon Yard James Purves grandson 7 scholar b South Shields Durham

Cannon Yard John Purves Head m 30 shoemaker b Berwick on Tweed
                  Cannon Yard Margaret Purves m Wife 29 Shoemaker`s wife b Tweedmouth Northumberland
                  Cannon Yard Mary Jane daughter un 9 scholar b Berwick on Tweed
                  Cannon Yard Wiliam Lorrains son un 5 scholar b Berwick on Tweed
                  Cannon Yard Isabella Hope? Purves un 3 b Berwick on Tweed
                  Cannon Yard Elizabeth Hope? Purves un 1 b Berwick on Tweed

I think the grandchildren listed with Jane are a different family b S. Shields.
                  Still no further forward, but am leaning towards Lorrains
                  Does anyone have any other ideas ?

Evelyn

Comment

Herky , I think I have finally solved the puzzle of Jane Lorraine. The staff at Berwick Office have been great in finding the burial place of my g and gg grandparents ,and went down on Wednesday to place flowers on their unmarked graves . I thought I would look around for other Purves graves , and I struck gold !
                    Just a few yards away I found a headstone with the following names on it .
                    William Purves d 1856 aged 66 yrs
                    also Jane LORRAINE his widow d 1874 aged 86 yrs
                    Also William Purves eldest son of above d 1872 aged 60 yrs
                    Also Jane his widow d Leith 1885 aged 72 yrs interred in Edinburgh Eastern Cemetery.

Jane d Leith is Jane Hedley, I have her d cert . William and Jane Hedley had a daughter Alice m to William Hope living in Edinburgh. I think she went to live with them when William her husband died . William Hope is on d cert.All the other dates match up with certs i have.

I am pretty sure I have found her.Her husband is the father of William married to Jane Hedley ,and the fact they are on the same tombstone looks like I have.

There are quite a few Purves graves in this North Road Cemetery and I took some photos in case they were of any interest to anyone looking for their family . I would be happy to supply details .
                    Evelyn

Comment

Hi Evelyn,
                      I am really pleased that you have had some luck at last.

Burial records are often not so easy to access and they can be very useful, even if there is a stone sometimes you will find little children buried with no mention on the stone.

I am in a very similar situation myself - I have just returned from a few days in the central belt (Scotland) to visit the grave of my ggg and gg grand parents.
                      With no stone I would not have found them but some time back I sent a morning in the back room of a cemetery office going through the old burial ledgers and found who I was looking for.
                      Then this week the cemetery staff left a trail of arrows around the cemetery (dark green spray on the grass which would wash away with the rain in time) to lead me to the grave.
                      At last I could lay some flowers and say a few words to my ancestors.

If you are going to a cemetery in Edinburgh - I have also done this with an unmarked grave - and the staff were very helpful again, sending a map and the names on the adjacent stones so I could identify the plot.

Last year I did my great grandparents - again no stone - and I met up with the cemetery supervisor who took me to the plot. This was in Glasgow. However Glasgow City does charge a but £64 for a search of their burial records and they don't allow you to have a look for yourself.

I hope your new finds helps you to progress with your tree - best of luck.
                      It's a lovely feeling when we make progress, isn't it.
                      herky

Comment

Hi HERKY,
                        Yes it a good feeling when everything comes together.I have had a lot of help from folks like yourself giving advice and even looking things up to confirm findings.I would never have got as far without it . Berwick Staff have been very patient as I was sending them info about a Jane Robertson, which just wasn`t coming up.When I sent them the right information they got it no bother.
                        Re . your graves comment . My cousins and I had arranged to meet one of the staff at the cemetery as she was going to show us the exact spot,as no stone,so we took flowers with us to mark it. When she took us over there was a bunch of flowers on each place.It turned out she had come earlier that morning and placed the flowers so we had a focal point .

What a lovely gesture ,it really touched us.
                        Now next quest is to find Jane Lorraine`s parents. This is going to be an uphill job , I have checked out a few names ,but on the d cert it does not mention her parents names as they do in Scotland. Will keep plodding on

Evelyn

Comment

Working...
                        X