Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills? this is a new one on me

Hi,

[B]Andrew Kidd, wills and probate solicitor at law firm Silverman Sherliker, says that without a special legal document called a grant of probate, the contents of a will remain a private matter[/B]

l Just found this in the Daily Mail as a response to a readers question asking to see her recently departed mothers will, when did this become law? I have sent off for many wills including one of someone who died 5 years ago

I think they will all have gone to Probate. I believe that anything over a certain amount (currently £5,000??) must go to Probate but any executor can send it themselves, it doesn't need to go through a solicitor. You wouldn't have been able to send for the will unless it was listed in the Probate Calendar .... in fact you wouldn't know of its existence.

Anne

Comment

I'm not sure that there's a lower limit. Any will must be executed. The forms are actually quite straightforward - the difficult bit can be disentangling the deceased's financial affairs. When we did m-i-l's will a few years ago it helped enormously that her paperwork was in perfect order and she didn't own a property.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks, think I have grasped it now, I assume this didnt go to probate.

Comment

After the death of my father I was put jointly on all my mothers accounts so that I could deal with her day to day financial affairs. This continued for over 10 years until her death.
          As the accounts were in joint names on production of a death certificate they belonged solely to me.
          The only account not in a joint name was an ISA, and this can't be held jointly. As this was over the "Small Estates" £5000 exemption her will had to be proved before the ISA provider would hand over the cash, otherwise I would not have had to go to probate.
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
          http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
          X