X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help searching for descendants

Living ones, that is.

Keeping in mind not to post names of living persons,

Does anyone know how to track down the descendants of Albert Edward William Mitchell
    born 31 Dec 1909, Dartmouth, Devon; died Jun 1995, Plymouth, Devon.

Wife Olive Martin Mitchell, born 25 Aug 1910, died Sep 1985, Plymouth, Devon
    Thanks
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 13-09-11, 05:40. Reason: more info

Now that BMD's are indexed by FMP I usually look through the Births using the wifes surname as a check, then see if I can find any likely Marriages and/or Deaths then look through the Births again, does that make sense, someone else will probably be able to explain it better. It's not foolproof particularly with common surnames but if they stay in the same district you are more likely to pick out the correct details. Don't forget the BT on-line telephone directory that will give you the addresses or 192 which I think you can buy credits for.

Hope that this helps.

Margaret
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks, Margaret. How do I access the BT and 192?

Comment

You could try looking for wills - descendants may be named.

I found living cousins that we knew nothing about in OH's family on Genes Reunited. I no longer have an account so can't check but at the time I looked for people who had ancestors common with him.
        Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
          Thanks, Margaret. How do I access the BT and 192?
          BT is the telephone directory and 192 covers things like the Electoral Roll.

Margaret
          Margaret

Comment

Yes, but how do I access them? Is there a website(s)?
            thanks

Comment

Does someone have a GR account that could check to see if Albert is on it? I don't want to create yet another account just to check.

thanks

Comment

thanks
                You don't say where you live, if I want an address out of England I Google White Pages followed by the name of the Country, I assume that this would be the same for everyone. If you Google 192 it should come up with the web address.

Margaret
                Margaret

Comment

Thanks

Comment

thanks
                    Yep

hope they help :smilee:
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Does anyone know how to track down the descendants of Albert Edward William Mitchell
                      born 31 Dec 1909, Dartmouth, Devon; died Jun 1995, Plymouth, Devon.
                      If you purchased Alberts death certificate the informant could be a child of his.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

No Albert Mitchell born 1909 on GR, but 7 with Albert born Plymouth 1905 and 1 1904 and 4 with William Mitchell born 1908
                        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Jean - Not him. Albert appears in the 1911 census as the youngest child in a family with a string of girls ahead of him. Thanks for looking.

Julie - excellent suggestion. Thank you.

Comment

This is the marriage:

Olive E M Martin / Mitchell / Apr-May-Jun 1935/ Kingsbridge Devon
                            Albert E W Mitchell / Martin / Apr-May-Jun 1935 / Kingsbridge Devon

There are 2 possible children born in the Plymouth area (and others elsewhere in Devonshire).

Pity the surname's such a common one.

Comment

Yes, I believe they are my couple. How do I find the children? Could you send info in PM? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                                You could try looking for wills - descendants may be named.
                                Does anyone have access to an index that would cover a possible will for Albert or Olive?
                                Thanks

Comment

Well, if not access to the index, does anyone know who to contact to find out?

Comment

You should be able to access the index at your nearest district probate registry, or your local Record Office might have it.

You can apply to Leeds or any district probate registry for a search; if you don't know the date of probate, they'll do a five-year search, I think. The search fee includes a copy of the will if there is one.

It used to cost £5, but I think someone said it's gone up to £6.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals/courts/probate/probate-registries.htm

http://www.justice.gov.uk/guidance/courts-and-tribunals/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills.htm

Comment

Mary - if you're in Italy, which probate registry or RO do you go to when you need to search?

I'm in the US . . .
                                      Thanks
                                      Sarah

Comment

If you want to order a will or a 5-year search, you have to do it by post at the moment - the probate registries aren't set up to receive online payments. I still have a UK bank account, so I can send them a cheque in pounds.

If I don't know the date of probate, I usually wait till somebody on here offers to do probate calendar searches - occasionally someone does, though not very often. That's only necessary after 1941, when the probate calendar on Ancestry ends.

Your best bet is probably to start a separate thread asking if anyone can do a probate calendar search for you.

Comment

Working...
                                        X