He was a Policeman but where? William J.K. Bell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He was a Policeman but where? William J.K. Bell

My great Uncle William John Key Bell (1883 - 1916) was born in Cumberland. He moved away to be policeman. We always thought he was a policeman in Liverpool. Apparently (got to check this) he is shown as a Policeman residing in Leeds on the 1911 Census. From another forum someone said that he is not shown up in either of the two Leeds Police Forces as a casuality of WWI. He was killed at the Battle of the Somme.

Does anyone have access to records of Police Officers and are they please able to find him serving at Liverpool or Leeds.

Your help would be much appreciated.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Me again, just checked the 1911 Census and he was living in Leeds as a Boarder (with two other Police Constables). So looks like my info about Liverpool was incorrect. Wonder why his death was not recorded by the appropriate Police Force.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Is he on the www.cwgc.org website?

I've just looked but couldn't see which one he was - this might give his parents names and address at the time and also his wife's name if married.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hello and thank you for responding. The other information I have about William John Key Bell is that was born during the September quarter of 1883. William was killed at the Battle of the Somme during the First World War. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial (Pier and Face 15a and 16c) William J.K. Bell Private, S/14766 of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. William nevere married.

Many thanks for going to the trouble of trying to find further information for me.
        Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

His service records give his occupation as Police Constable and his address as Beech House, Fingland???, Kirkbride, Nr Carlisle, Cumberland, when he enlisted, aged 32
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Hi Linda

Did you know that his service records are on Ancestry - they are a bit damaged but on the first page it gives his occupation as police constable and his address as in Kirkbride. I wonder whether this means that he transferred there after 1911, in which case that might be the place to start to look for his records.

There is also this memorial where he is named

and this report of the unveiling of a police memorial at Penrith

Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Linda from Murton View Post
              Hello and thank you for responding. The other information I have about William John Key Bell is that was born during the September quarter of 1883. William was killed at the Battle of the Somme during the First World War. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial (Pier and Face 15a and 16c) William J.K. Bell Private, S/14766 of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. William nevere married.

Many thanks for going to the trouble of trying to find further information for me.
              If his name is on the Thiepval Memorial, that means that his body was never recovered. My great uncle's name is also there. As well as photos on the CWGC site, you will also find some photos here: http://familytreeforum.com/wiki/inde...orials:_France

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you all so much. The link to the memorial at Orton brought tears to my eyes. I have a photograph of Great Uncle William and wondered if it would be possible to contact the web site owners and offer a copy to them to include in this article.

Thank you again.

Edit: I found the home page for this web site and found an e-mail address. I have sent a copy of a photograph of my Great Uncle William. Think my Nana Brown (his sister) might be smiling down tonight.
                Last edited by Linda from Murton; 13-09-11, 00:15.
                Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

I think they'd be very pleased to receive a photo.

My own great uncle was killed in 1917 and I knew very little about him until recently, when I inherited a lot of family documents and photos - they included photos of him in uniform and as a child, an obituary from the local paper, letters from his commanding officer to his mother about how he was killed and more. He looked so young in uniform (he was 20 when he was killed). Believe it or not these photos etc. were going to be binned - I'm so pleased to be able to preserve them and honour his memory
                  Jackie

Comment

Your Great Uncle Will was my Great Uncle Will too.
                    He was a policeman in Orton before he joined the Argyll & Sutherlands and he was killed in a booby-trapped lane on the Somme.

I'd love to contact you to discuss the rest of the family.

Andrew

Comment

Excellent Andrew, I shall email you.

Linda
                      Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Working...
                      X