• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bickleigh

Geography question:
    is the Bickleigh on this page:

Is it near Plymouth, or near Tiverton?

Thanks
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-09-11, 08:55.

Hi,

not quite sure as the link doesnt work.. :( though I'll have a look and see if I can find it.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Bickleigh is classed as Plymouth but looking at the map I see that there are two of them, one at Plymouth and the other at Tiverton so if you can give me a few more details, I might be able to help you.
      Julie

Comment

is ok have sorted it

here you go:

Julie

Comment

Yes, there are two places called Bickleigh in the areas you mention and one is indeed near Tiverton which is classed as North Devon, so you will have to decide which one you want.

The Bickleigh near Plymouth has a Royal Marine Commando base and use the Dewerstone as climbing practice! The station has long since gone, late 1950's!! Used to be my favourite walking area!

When you said was it near Plymouth or Tiverton, I wonder if you meant Yelverton and not Tiverton? Tiverton is North Devon and Yelverton, Roborough and Bickleigh are all close together not far from Plymouth in South Devon.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 12-09-11, 09:50.

Comment

I'm trying to locate Shadrach Hambly, s/o Thomas & Ann Mary Hambly. That is, I know which census pages he's on, but that doesn't tell me where Bickleigh is!

Ancestry has mis-transcribed his name in 1841 (thanks to the enumerator's error, really), both his names are botched. Can't remember what they did with his given name, but he's been given the surname of Dodridge, as I recall.

I think they are both correct in 1851.

Comment

I'm looking at Familysearch's catalog, they have two Bickleigh entries, one for Plymouth, one for Tiverton:

Comment

One of OH's ancestors was born in the Bickleigh near Plymouth.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If you look just above the image you can see
                  Devon -> Bickleigh -> Plympton -> District 20
                  If you then click on the Bickleigh you will see that the sub registgration districts include Plympton and Uffculme.
                  Does that help pinpont which one it is.
                  Elaine

Comment

I'm guessing Plymouth. In one of the censuses, they are in the Village of Jump. I found a reference that it is now Roborough.
                    Of course, there first child wasn't born there, so maybe they married elsewhere!

Thanks, Elaine. Congrats on the new endeavor!

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      If you look just above the image you can see
                      Devon -> Bickleigh -> Plympton -> District 20
                      If you then click on the Bickleigh you will see that the sub registgration districts include Plympton and Uffculme.
                      Does that help pinpont which one it is.
                      this one Bickleigh>>Plympton is right near Plymouth, (the other one is up over dartmoor near Cullompton which is very near to Uffculme.)
                      Julie

Comment

Looks like you are talking about Roborough near Plymouth as I have just found the following on a Plymouth site:

"Today we know the village of Jump as Roborough. Although it is outside the City of Plymouth, those readers who used to journey through the village before the by-pass was built will remember the Court House that stands on the eastern side of the Tavistock Road, near the Lopes' Arms Public House. This was designed and erected by Mr George Marshall during the summer of 1859 and brought into use early in December. The building contained twelve rooms, eight of which formed the residences for a Sergeant and Constable. There were also two cells and a public waiting room. Prior to the erection of this building any persons arrested in the area had to be taken to Stonehouse to be kept in the cells and returned to Jump for their court appearance. [2]"

Had a quick look at the 1851 Census and saw that Ann was born Anthony Cornwall, that is near Torpoint and just across the River Tamar from Plymouth on the Torpoint ferry. Most children born Bickleigh which is very close to Roborough and one born Tamerton Foliot which is on the Tamar, also very close to Roborough. There are many churches all round that area where they could have married. looks like you need some CD's for the parishes of that area from the Devon Family History Society, that should sort you out.

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 12-09-11, 21:07.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                          I'm trying to locate Shadrach Hambly, s/o Thomas & Ann Mary Hambly. That is, I know which census pages he's on, but that doesn't tell me where Bickleigh is!

Ancestry has mis-transcribed his name in 1841 (thanks to the enumerator's error, really), both his names are botched. Can't remember what they did with his given name, but he's been given the surname of Dodridge, as I recall.

<snip>.
                          It's in 1841 : HO107/240 bk/fo 6 p 7
                          The younger children have clearly been given teh surname DODRIDGE.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Does the 3-year-old nephew in 1851 being Thomas SPRY give you any useful clues?

Christine

Comment

The enumerator in 1841 was not clear in her work. Thomas is Thomas Dodridge Hambly. All "do"s are in reference to Hambly.

I just spent the afternoon at the library, reviewing various Devon CD's. I found the baptisms of the Hambly children. That's nice, but what I really to find out is why Shadrach has a middle name of Mitchell, and how that comes back to my Mitchells.

I'll start a new thread, looking for their marriage, and Thomas' birth.

Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X