marriage licenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage licenses

I have one ancestor who had to get a licence to marry because the bride was only 18, but I can't remember how I found about where to find out the details of their licence.

Now I have the same problem. My 4xG/Gparents were married in 1802 but they were both only born in 1787. So if I'm right they were only 15!! Could they have married at that age even if they got a licence. If YES! where could I look for a copy of their licence. The marriage was in London.
    Family details I'm looking for:- Edmondson-N/Yorkshire+Salford. Wilkinson-N/Yorks, [B]O'N[/B]eill-Manchester+Ireland?, Hill-Derbyshire, Warrington-Derbyshire +N.Zealand, Makin- Salford, Partington- Prestwich

Pipeman

licenses have nothing to do with age, they are issued where one or both parties is not known to the Vicar of the parish in which they wish to marry OR they are issued because the marriage is to be private, without banns for whatever reason (bride pregnant, often, or either party recently bereaved etc.

OC
    Marriage age before 1926 was 14 for boys, 12 for girls, with parental permission.

Comment

Doesn't Ancestry have the Vicar General index online now?

Comment

Yes, I believe it does.
        Margaret

Comment

There are examples of three different types of marriage licence on my certificates site at

Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

The allegations that I have are just handwritten into a book. Minimal information, tho I think I did get ages for one couple. Came from earlier 1700s period

Comment

Before you go chasing licences, you need to see the actual entry in the parish records, which will tell you whether they married by Banns or by licence.

OC

Comment

Working...
              X