3 Year Long Brickwall. Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Year Long Brickwall. Help.

I have been researching my family tree for many years and have only come up against 2 brickwalls. One I have managed to take a hammer to, another is a stubborn wall and is refusing to topple.
    Basic info.
    Arthur Palmer Davey Born c1850 Claydon Suffolk
    Priscilla Davey (nee Dunnett) b 22/8/1848 Clopton Suffolk

They lived most of their lives in Ipswich and owned a taxi company and a shop. On 24th May 1907 they travelled to Canada with their son Albert and grandson Bertie.

Someone on another site found a possible death for Priscilla in 193(1) in Kamsack, though I have not seen this raw info for myself (would love too)

Problem is NO ONE can find death info for Arthur. Not a soul
    There is an Arthur P who died on 4th July but the parents names are not the same and I know it is not my Arthur.
    Does anyone have any idea where I can look next?

Searched all available places on internet I can think of. Its not vital I know the precise details of when Arthur died, I just like to know so I can finally take a hammer to that wall and knock the stubborn thing down.

I take it you have checked incoming passenger lists incase they came back to UK? and also therefore the BMD index for the deaths?

Where in Canada is Kamsack?
    Margaret

Comment

Not checked incoming passenger lists but have searched all of UK for dates up until 1960 just in case they lived a long life. No joy in UK whatsoever. As far as I know they stayed in Canada as others visited and a family developed over there.
      Kamsack is in
      Saskatchewan

Comment

I had a great deal of help from the people who look after the Saskatchewan archives (from memory I think it's the University). They found my man's land grant about 1910 and also found him in the census. Saskatchewan records are split - BMDs in one place, census and other records in another.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Do you have them on 1911 census? Birtie is listed as their son though, not grandson.
          http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=143508

I've just noticed another Davey family further down the page. Are they yours as well?
          Charles & Marie with children Gladis & Harry.
          Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 11-09-11, 19:10.
          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

somebody has this tree on Ancestry and has Priscilla dying in abt 1919 but no death date for Arthur ?

Comment

findagrave has her death as 1936.
              Karen

Comment

Just come across the Saskatchewan Homestead Index after a quick Google:

http://www.saskhomesteads.com

No idea if the files are worth getting, but two of them relate to an Arthur Davey in District 13, Township 29, which is where your Daveys were in 1911.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-09-11, 20:03.

Comment

The same site lists Arthur as buried in the same cemetery, date unknown, and there's a short biography of the family which says he died in the early 1930s:

No gravemarker exists for Arthur and Priscilla Davey (June/2012) Mr. and Mrs. Davey and their son Bert sailed from Ipswich, England in 1902, landing in Montreal. They homesteaded in the Silver Creek District near Kamsack (in the 1980's owned by the Merlin Finnies). They were tiny little people who built a tiny...
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 11-09-11, 20:01.

Comment

I'd suggest giving Grandpa T a nudge - he has SK connections.

Comment

OOOMMMMGGGGGG.
                      You guys are wonderful, legends.
                      I tried Find a Grave a few months back but noticed the info was only added 3rd Aug 2011 so I wouldn't have seen it.
                      Thanks sooooo much, at least I have a rough time and place. And even a small piece about them.

I can't explain how thrilled I am. I cried when I read these replies, I was starting to lose hope.
                      I can now tell my mum the news.

I am speechless.

And who is Grandpa T? If he has SK connections, I could FINALLY get somewhere with getting the precise info.

Thanks again.
                      I am going to add a pic soon to show you how "tiny" they actually were.

Comment

Originally posted by hottie View Post
                        Thanks sooooo much, at least I have a rough time and place. And even a small piece about them.
                        You're very welcome

It might be worth contacting the person who wrote the piece, in case she's a descendant and has more information. Just click on her initials to e-mail her.

And who is Grandpa T?

Comment

Thanks Mary, you are wonderful. And good point about the person who wrote the piece. I am going to look into it for sure.
                          Will look Grandpa T up too.

This is them on the farm. Priscilla is a little lady. Might have to submit this to be fixed as the shine near her is off putting from the lovely picture
                          Artpris.jpg

Comment

That's a lovely photo. Definitely worth asking for a restoration on the Photo board:

Comment

Just had a look at all the info people have found and its fabulous.

I have a little twig of my tree that went to Canada so will look and see if I can find any names that fit.

Well done everyone.
                              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Absolutely well done. Since I posted earlier I have been in contact with the person who put the info on FindAGrave. She is from Kamsack and is willing to go find the grave when she next visits. She also showed me a small piece from a local history book about Arthur and his "brother" Charles. This got me wondering and searched for a brother called Charles Robert. He had a SON Charles Robert who married in 1906. Apparent Bert told this local history book the little story and I assume they got it wrong. Charles was Arthur's son not Brother.
                                Thoughts on that,
                                Davey-Arthur & Charles-Bios.jpg

Comment

Grandpa-T is a member:

oops - just realized someone had found him for you

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by hottie View Post
                                    Absolutely well done. Since I posted earlier I have been in contact with the person who put the info on FindAGrave. She is from Kamsack and is willing to go find the grave when she next visits. She also showed me a small piece from a local history book about Arthur and his "brother" Charles. This got me wondering and searched for a brother called Charles Robert. He had a SON Charles Robert who married in 1906. Apparent Bert told this local history book the little story and I assume they got it wrong. Charles was Arthur's son not Brother.
                                    Thoughts on that,
                                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]15812[/ATTACH]
                                    This seems to be the Charles I found on 1911 census on post #5. He must have been Bert's brother, maybe that is where the confusion came in.
                                    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Yes, I checked the censuses, as I'm sure hottie has done, and there's no Charles among Arthur's siblings. Nothing showing up on the IGI either.

Comment

Working...
                                      X