family tree maker (newbie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family tree maker (newbie)

I have just started to use family tree maker and I am finding it a bit mind blowing at the moment, I would appreciate any help please.

On another programme that I have it shows the marriage details of couples when printed out in a tree form. I can't seem to acquire this with family tree maker, must be doing something wrong or not doing something correct any ideas please, or will it not be shown when printed?

Ewen

Which version of the program are you using?
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I am using ftm2005. When I look at the 'family page' the marriage details have been entered but when looking at the descendant tree they do not appear. Okay just noticed when in the descendant tree marriage details do not appear when in the ascendant tree they are there, although the ascendant tree appears horizontal as opposed to vertical as the descendant tree would this be correct can anyone confirm please. I think this is correct.

Another problem I have is when you don't know the maiden name of the wife what do you enter?

Ewen

Comment

When you have the chart on the screen, click on CONTENTS --> ITEMS TO INCLUDE and then choose marriage.

When you don't know the maiden name then you have a choice, leave it blank, enter unknown or some people use (_____)
        Personally, I use the word unknown
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by ewen View Post
          although the ascendant tree appears horizontal as opposed to vertical as the descendant tree would this be correct can anyone confirm please. I think this is correct.

Ewen
          Thanks again Elaine, I will have a play around at putting 'unknowns' in.

In the meantime can any confirm that when looking at the ascendant tree it is horizontal but when looking at the descendant tree it is vertical?

Many thanks

Comment

In the meantime can any confirm that when looking at the ascendant tree it is horizontal but when looking at the descendant tree it is vertical?
            That's the normal format.
            Elaine

Comment

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. It is just that in my other programm the descendant and ascendant trees both ran down/up the page depending on whether it was descendant or ascendant, this is a whole new ball game and it going to take a bit of getting used to.

Ewen

Comment

I don't have FTM 2005, but do have FTM 2006 installed on my computer, although I don't use it. There is an option of creating a ancestor tree (vertical) or ancestor tree (horizontal), so you have the choice. Maybe this option isn't available in 2005.
                Elaine

Comment

Yes possibly as long as I know how it appears I'm okay, I was just a bit surprised to see it the way it was across the screen and not down it.

Comment

Having some more problems if anyone can help please.

When viewing the standard ancestor tree there is no information in the boxes ie birth and death, there is when viewing the ancestor tree 'fan' or the ancestor tree 'hourglass' so I know I have entered these details. The problem is I think (although not 100 per cent sure) that the information was there earlier, so I don't know if I have clicked on something that would make it disappear.

Comment

Same thing as before when you were missing the marriage information
                      Create the chart - click on CONTENTS --> ITEMS TO INCLUDE- and then choose the facts you want to include..

Once you have set this up you shouldn't have to do it each time you create a new chart - it seems to remember what you want!
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine again but it is not happening, I am doing as you suggest and then clicking on marriage fact in the list but there is not details showing. As mentioned I thought I saw this information earlier but just think I may have clicked on something when viewing the tree to make it disappear.

Ewen

Comment

Thank you Elaine you have been a tremendous help and thank you for being patient

The link was a big help, I was wondering how to remove items from the list to put in boxes as when I was practising with it yesterday I seemed to have collected a lot of extras, so now I have deleted them from the list and tidied it up.

As for the marriages etc that weren't appearing in the box I think the problem I had was that I was not double clicking so that seems to have solved that problem.:o

I don't know if you can help further please? When I view the 'standard pedigree' tree, the 'fan tree', the 'vertical tree' and the 'hourglass tree' it only shows with up to the 8 great grand parents. When I view the 'ancestor tree standard' it shows up all the people in my tree I have entered, is this normal for this programm to be able to view only up to these 8 great grandparents in these trees?

Ewen

Comment

I don't know if you can help further please? When I view the 'standard pedigree' tree, the 'fan tree', the 'vertical tree' and the 'hourglass tree' it only shows with up to the 8 great grand parents. When I view the 'ancestor tree standard' it shows up all the people in my tree I have entered, is this normal for this programm to be able to view only up to these 8 great grandparents in these trees?

Ewen
                            Probably the same in all cases, regardless of type of tree:
                            CONTENTS --> # OF GENERATIONS TO SHOW - then select how many generations you want. Maximum, I think, is 99!
                            Elaine

Comment

Thank you once again for your time and help. I think that has answered my many questions.

Ewen

Comment

Working...
                              X