Scottish birth help and value of Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish birth help and value of Will

Hi I have looked long and hard without success for the birth of an ancestor but cannot find his birth and wondered if anyone can help?

His name was Thomas Wilson and he died in Alva, Clackmannanshire, Scotland on the 6th March 1898. He was age 66 when he dies so that places his birth around 1832. On the various censuses his place of
    birth was given as Tuliallan (sometimes listed as Clackmannanshire of Perthshire) and Kincardine (Perthshire).

Luckily he left a Will and was a dairyman by trade. On the Will the assets were £41.11 and his debts were £33.15 so the net value was around £8 - would anyone know where I could find out the worth of his estate in today's money?

Can anyone help?

Thanks as always

Steven

Hello Steven,

will give you the equivalent in 2005.
    AUDREY

Comment

Thanks Willsmum it works out at about £386!!!!!!! I thought it was going to be loads. Not a rich dairyman then!!!!!!

Steven

Comment

From his death certificate what are his parents' forenames and his mother maiden surname?

Comment

HI GallowayLass I should have put that on my original post

His parents were Thomas Wilson - occupation Quarryman and Elizabeth Wishart (I think it says) - I haven't managed to find his parents marriage or any further back this line

Regards

Steven

Comment

I presume you have tried the Tulliallan records on Scotlands People. Tulliallan is/was Perth(Now Fife!) also often bracketed with Kincardine, not Clackmananshire. If you google Genuki Tulliallan you will see that Clackmanan borders it but Clackmananshire is the smallest county. I tried to flag up the web address for Genuki Tulliallan but have not been able to do so. There used to be a lot of records online for Tulliallan, to include all the marriages but they appear to have disappeared as I can no longer access them!

Some marriages found though not the ones I had originally!

RootsWeb - the Internet's oldest and largest FREE genealogical community. An award winning genealogical resource with searchable databases, free Web space, mailing lists, message boards, and more.

Also Genuki Tulliallan

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 10-09-11, 20:04.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
              HI GallowayLass I should have put that on my original post

His parents were Thomas Wilson - occupation Quarryman and Elizabeth Wishart (I think it says) - I haven't managed to find his parents marriage or any further back this line

Regards

Steven
              Steven, I am descended from Wisharts from KIncardineshire, but there is probably no connection, unfortunately.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Sorry Steven,
                No luck from me in finding your man's birth etc.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks Janet for the links I will check them. I stay fairly close to Tulliallan and know the area.

Elizabeth this is the only Wishart I have come across on my tree so far I will let you know if I find any more.

Herky thanks for looking I can't get much further back with the Wilson line it's a tough one but finding the Will was great, the only person I have come across who had one!!

I have returned to my Scottish side after a wee break but have pretty much exhausted every branch

Steven

Comment

would there be any records to find? most scottish records in my experience start around 1830.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      would there be any records to find? most scottish records in my experience start around 1830.
                      Statutory records start from 1855 but prior to then there are OPRs (Old Parochial Records). The detail is only as good as the Minister or Clerk decided to include and rarely show the names of parents.
                      They are generally Church of Scotland so if baptised in other churches will not be included. You may find some notes on the Catholic records but you are really only likely to have the child's name and that of the officiating priest. Marriage records sometimes appear twice with two different dates. The reason being that the marriage is "proclaimed" before the couple are married.
                      Not all records have survived, some were burnt, water-damaged or rodent-damaged so it can be a bit of a hit or miss!

It's not all doom and gloom though. You should be able to find a rent record if he tenanted a property or maybe a rates record.
                      There might be a Memorial Inscription if they had a stone, this might place the whole family together. Tayside Archives might be able to help.
                      Try the newspapers - there might be an obituary. The Scotsman is pay to view but you could look at the Gale papers online. In fact, if he was a dairyman, perhaps he got prizes for his cattle or there may be adverts for produce. It all helps to add a bit of flesh to the bones!
                      I don't see a death for a Wishart/Wilson so looks like his mother died pre-1855.

Comment

I couldn't see a relevant record on here, but it might prove usefl, eventually:
                        An international directory of grave monuments photos produced by Gravestone Photographic Resource Project (GPR)

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanx woody, my families were from the highlands, and emmigrated around 1853. so i can never get much info on them anyway. i was wondering the reason stevie couldnt find anything was maybe the records dont begin when he needs them too.

Comment

Sorry to be so long in getting back to you - I can't find a Wilson Wishart marriage for your couple on SP. I also tried them separately on LDS but still no luck.

Comment

Thanks for the help folks. I was thinking of trying the local newspapers again so fingers crossed.

The rental records look a good call Woody and to find a gravestone would be fantastic

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                thanx woody, my families were from the highlands, and emmigrated around 1853. so i can never get much info on them anyway. i was wondering the reason stevie couldnt find anything was maybe the records dont begin when he needs them too.
                                I'm also from the Highlands! Pity one of yours hadn't just held on till 1855 before emigrating but maybe they still had siblings living in the Highlands.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                  Thanks for the help folks. I was thinking of trying the local newspapers again so fingers crossed.

The rental records look a good call Woody and to find a gravestone would be fantastic

Steven
                                  Never give up, Steven. Just pop them on the back burner but keep looking every few months. Just because something's not available this year doesn't mean that it won't be online next year or the year after.

Comment

If you can't find the family in the OPRs then it may mean that they didn't attend the Established Church (Church of Scotland). Another possible church in that area is the Kincardine Burgher Church, later Kincardine United Presbyterian Church, which eventually united with Tulliallan.

The National Archives of Scotland (NAS) catalogue at http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/ gives the following information on this church:
                                    "Kincardine (Burgher) Church began in 1775 with a group who petitioned the Burgher Presbytery of Dunfermline and Perth. A congregation was formed which included members of the older congregation of Alloa West. The first minister was ordained in 1777, by which time a meeting-house seems to have been already built. A new church followed in 1819. It passed successively to the United Presbyterian and United Free Churches, and united with Tulliallan in 1914 as Kincardine and Tulliallan UF. This transferred to the Church of Scotland as Kincardine, which in 1974 united with Tulliallan as Tulliallan and Kincardine. The Church of Scotland charge was in the presbytery of Dunfermline and Kinross and the synod of Fife."

Confusingly, the records held at NAS (ref: CH3/1018) are described as covering 1852-1974. However, if you look in detail at the catalogue entry there is a volume described as baptisms 1831-1840 in ref. CH3/1018/22 (which is also listed in 'Registers of the Secession Churches in Scotland' by Diane Baptie). This volume has been digitally imaged (not available online) and can be viewed at the NAS searchroom in Edinburgh.

Hopefully Thomas Wilson's baptism may be included.

Kirsty

Comment

Thanks Woody and Kirsty for the encouragement and help and sorry for not replying sooner. I am now on the case looking for his burial and that of his wife and son so will keep you posted. I think they might be buried in my home town of Tillicoultry.

Woody I also have Highland ancestors and traced living decendants in Skye earlier in the year which was great

Steven

Comment

I looked through the parish records for Kirriemuir for c1795 only to find that they'd been damaged and some pages were completely blank and others just had the odd entry on them which showed that they must have been water damaged at some point. Yet other pages were completely fine and I found the siblings.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                        X