Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help? Having problems trying to find info before 1841

Hi again.

After joining Ancestry I have found so much info, however I am stuck.

The person in question is John Bradshaw born c1826 in Ganthorpe, Yorkshire (this is from the 1851 census)

On the 1851 cenus, it also says he is the stepson to the head of the house who is a John Clark, his wife is Mary Clark. But in the 1861 cenus, it says Mary Clark is the mother to Thomas (which is John's Brother) which makes me believe that Mary remarried after John's Birth. I know that John Clark was married to Mary Clark before 1841 because the 1841 census has Mary as Mary Clark. This makes me think she remarried between 1826 and 1841.

I have tried to find the birth of John Bradshaw but Ancestry is providing 20 solutions, non of them which are in Yorkshire ie they are in Lancs or Dorset

Can anyone help me find the name of John Bradshaw's father and his mothers Maiden name? Apart from ordering John Bradshaw marriage cert to Betsy Jones in 1857 in Malton, am I starting to rearch the limit of my findings?

Finally, at FMP there is a marriage for John Clark in 1931 in Howden with Mary Clark. Can anyone check the maiden name of this Mary.

Many Thanks

Mark

There is an entry on Family Search for a John Bradshaw in Terrington (a mile or two from Ganthorpe)

John Bradshaw
    Christening - 03 Jan 1826 TERRINGTON, Yorkshire
    Father - Thomas Bradshaw
    Mother - Mary

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
    Elaine

Comment

With another baptism for a Jane Bradshaw also Terrington

Name: Jane Bradshaw
      Christening - 18 May 1828 TERRINGTON
      Fathe -Thomas Bradshaw
      Mother - Mary
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

On the image of the 1841 census for your family there is a Jane Bradshaw listed, although her age is given as 10 - BUT if you look at the children it looks likely that all their ages have been rounded up or down to the nearest 5 years.
      Elaine

Comment

From the IGI
        THOMAS BRADSHAW
        Christening - 24 APR 1831 Sheriff Hutton, Yorkshire, England
        Parents Thomas Bradshaw & Mary
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much. I can't believe i missed that :o

Is it possible to view the image anywhere? It it one where i actually need to view myself? also, would the image have any other info, i.e those that are not listed on the page you posted or is all the info that is avaliable is listed?

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00802-2
          System Origin: England-ODM
          Source Film Number: 918430

Comment

From the IGI
            FANNY BRADSHAW
            Christening: 09 MAY 1824 Old Malton, Yorkshire,
            Parents: Thomas Bradshaw & Mary

That seems to tie all the Bradshaw children in together.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              From the IGI
              FANNY BRADSHAW
              Christening: 09 MAY 1824 Old Malton, Yorkshire,
              Parents: Thomas Bradshaw & Mary

That seems to tie all the Bradshaw children in together.
              IGI ??

It seems i have much more to learn

Comment

You could order the film of the parish registers at your local LDS library - but it may not have any more information than the transcriptions that I have given.
                Elaine

Comment

Oops, sorry
                  IGI = International Genealogical Index - http://www.familysearch.org/eng/sear...lear_form=true

It has really been superceded by the new FamilySearch site - but is still useful to use because it is sometimes easier to search!
                  Elaine

Comment

.. and again using the IGI link I have given you

enter the name Mary Bradshaw
                    in the spouse surname enter Clark
                    Select Region/country/county = British Isles/England/Yorkshire

and you get ...
                    MARY BRADSHAW / JOHN CLARK
                    Marriages: 06 JAN 1836 Sheriff Hutton, Yorkshire, England
                    Elaine

Comment

Using the same IGI link

Name = Thomas Bradshaw
                      Spouse first name = Mary
                      Event = marriage
                      Year = 1820 +/- 10 years
                      Select Region/country/county = British Isles/England/Yorkshire

gives you this one as a possible marriage

THOMAS BRADSHAW / MARY HEPPLE
                      Marriage: 19 JAN 1824 Old Malton, Yorkshire, England

Note: Coverage of the IGI is not complete so this can only be regarded as a possible - but as Mary gives her place of birth on the census as Old Malton it is certainly a strong contender!!
                      Elaine

Comment

A little more information is available on the new FamilySearch site for the Thomas Bradshaw / Mary Hepple marriage

It's sometimes a good idea to use the two sites in conjunction with each other
                        The old FamilySearch site - http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Sear...set_search.asp
                        The new FamilySearch site - - https://www.familysearch.org/
                        Elaine

Comment

and IF Mary Hepple is right - then again using the IGI you can work back on her!

MARY HEPPLE
                          Christening: 10 JUN 1802 Old Malton, Yorkshire, England
                          Parents - James Hepple and Ann

You have to realise that you are now in the area of finding things which may or may not be right and it's at this stage you really need to be checking the actual parish registers and making sure you have eliminated all possibilities that you are not following wrong lines!
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks so so much

Comment

Working...
                            X